2003 National Champion Andrew Kouwe and Wes Cheng talk about Syracuse basketball’s recent struggles on The Juice on the Cuse Podcast hosted by SNY.tv.
Here are the highlights from the show:
Wes Cheng: Andrew, the numbers from the St. John’s game don’t look good. 3-22 from downtown. 39 percent from the field. 10-20 from the free throw line. It seems like this is going to be like this all season.
Andrew Kouwe: I think 3-22 is kind of a one game thing. That’s pretty bad. Are they going to be a 50 or 60 percent 3-point shooting team? I don’t think so. There were a lot of open shots, and not that difficult shots. It was just one of those nights where it was an awful shooting night.
WC: But is it really a one-night thing? Syracuse is shooting 20 percent from downtown for the season. I mean, 3-22 is bad by even 20 percent standards, but what’s going on?
AK: Offense is going to be an issue. It’s just a matter of hitting open shots. But getting open shots for Trevor Cooney is difficult because unless they do what Duke did back in the day with J.J. Reddick and run a triple screen. And Boeheim’s not going to do that because that’s not the type of player that Cooney is. Cooney’s going to get his open 3s off transition or through offensive rebounding and kick-outs. But the big issue is that we’re not doing a great job transition-wise. You saw it in the first half of the St. John’s game, there was zero transition points. That’s when Cooney’s going to find open spots.
To subscribe, click the link above and then click VIEW IN iTunes, You will then see a button asking you to subscribe to the podcast.
2. 2003 National Champion Andrew Kouwe in studio
3. Bad outside shooting
4. Is this a full-season issue?
5. Kaleb Joseph’s struggles
6. Chris McCullough’s solid start
7. Will McCullough jump to the NBA?
8. SU’s defense has been solid
9. Too early to be talking NIT?
10. Closing Thoughts and Wrap Up
- Syracuse podcast: Andrew Kouwe on Hopkins leaving, Boeheim staying, next coach - March 24, 2017
- For Syracuse, another one-goal win against Johns Hopkins comes as no surprise - March 19, 2017
- Instant Juice: Mike Hopkins to leave Syracuse, take over at Washington - March 19, 2017
- Syracuse podcast: Chris Carlson on the NIT, 2017 basketball recruiting, Greensboro - March 17, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 90, UNC Greensboro 77 - March 15, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse basketball left out of NCAA Tournament - March 12, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse surges, sputters, then hangs on for win against St. John’s - March 12, 2017
- Jim Boeheim pleads case for Syracuse after ACC Tournament loss - March 9, 2017
- Syracuse coach says there’s ‘no value’ in playing ACC Tournament in Greensboro - March 8, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 57, Miami 62 - March 8, 2017