2003 National Champion Andrew Kouwe and Wes Cheng talk about Syracuse basketball’s recent struggles on The Juice on the Cuse Podcast hosted by SNY.tv.
Here are the highlights from the show:
Wes Cheng: Andrew, the numbers from the St. John’s game don’t look good. 3-22 from downtown. 39 percent from the field. 10-20 from the free throw line. It seems like this is going to be like this all season.
Andrew Kouwe: I think 3-22 is kind of a one game thing. That’s pretty bad. Are they going to be a 50 or 60 percent 3-point shooting team? I don’t think so. There were a lot of open shots, and not that difficult shots. It was just one of those nights where it was an awful shooting night.
WC: But is it really a one-night thing? Syracuse is shooting 20 percent from downtown for the season. I mean, 3-22 is bad by even 20 percent standards, but what’s going on?
AK: Offense is going to be an issue. It’s just a matter of hitting open shots. But getting open shots for Trevor Cooney is difficult because unless they do what Duke did back in the day with J.J. Reddick and run a triple screen. And Boeheim’s not going to do that because that’s not the type of player that Cooney is. Cooney’s going to get his open 3s off transition or through offensive rebounding and kick-outs. But the big issue is that we’re not doing a great job transition-wise. You saw it in the first half of the St. John’s game, there was zero transition points. That’s when Cooney’s going to find open spots.
To subscribe, click the link above and then click VIEW IN iTunes, You will then see a button asking you to subscribe to the podcast.
2. 2003 National Champion Andrew Kouwe in studio
3. Bad outside shooting
4. Is this a full-season issue?
5. Kaleb Joseph’s struggles
6. Chris McCullough’s solid start
7. Will McCullough jump to the NBA?
8. SU’s defense has been solid
9. Too early to be talking NIT?
10. Closing Thoughts and Wrap Up
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 27, Clemson 24 - October 13, 2017
- Experience with Syracuse basketball’s zone can be indicator of defensive efficiency - October 11, 2017
- 2017-18 Syracuse basketball: Best and worst case scenarios - October 5, 2017
- Does experience necessarily translate into wins for Syracuse basketball? - October 4, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 25, NC State 33 - September 30, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 26, LSU 35 - September 23, 2017
- Does Syracuse football have a puncher’s chance against LSU? - September 22, 2017
- What will Syracuse basketball’s starting lineup look like in 2017-18? - September 21, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 23, Middle Tennessee 30 - September 9, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 50, Central Connecticut State 7 - September 1, 2017