2003 National Champion Andrew Kouwe and Wes Cheng talk about Syracuse basketball’s recent struggles on The Juice on the Cuse Podcast hosted by SNY.tv.
Here are the highlights from the show:
Wes Cheng: Andrew, the numbers from the St. John’s game don’t look good. 3-22 from downtown. 39 percent from the field. 10-20 from the free throw line. It seems like this is going to be like this all season.
Andrew Kouwe: I think 3-22 is kind of a one game thing. That’s pretty bad. Are they going to be a 50 or 60 percent 3-point shooting team? I don’t think so. There were a lot of open shots, and not that difficult shots. It was just one of those nights where it was an awful shooting night.
WC: But is it really a one-night thing? Syracuse is shooting 20 percent from downtown for the season. I mean, 3-22 is bad by even 20 percent standards, but what’s going on?
AK: Offense is going to be an issue. It’s just a matter of hitting open shots. But getting open shots for Trevor Cooney is difficult because unless they do what Duke did back in the day with J.J. Reddick and run a triple screen. And Boeheim’s not going to do that because that’s not the type of player that Cooney is. Cooney’s going to get his open 3s off transition or through offensive rebounding and kick-outs. But the big issue is that we’re not doing a great job transition-wise. You saw it in the first half of the St. John’s game, there was zero transition points. That’s when Cooney’s going to find open spots.
To subscribe, click the link above and then click VIEW IN iTunes, You will then see a button asking you to subscribe to the podcast.
2. 2003 National Champion Andrew Kouwe in studio
3. Bad outside shooting
4. Is this a full-season issue?
5. Kaleb Joseph’s struggles
6. Chris McCullough’s solid start
7. Will McCullough jump to the NBA?
8. SU’s defense has been solid
9. Too early to be talking NIT?
10. Closing Thoughts and Wrap Up
- Syracuse lacrosse finds familiar result in one-goal win against Binghamton - April 22, 2017
- Syracuse stumbles out of the gate, but rallies to defeat North Carolina - April 16, 2017
- Mettus: Syracuse lacrosse ‘the team to beat’ right now - April 14, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse flexes its muscles, pushing past Cornell - April 12, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse enjoys rare rout, easily dispatching Hobart - April 6, 2017
- 2016-17 Syracuse basketball report card - April 3, 2017
- An early look at the 2017-18 Syracuse basketball team - March 31, 2017
- Syracuse podcast: Andrew Kouwe on Hopkins leaving, Boeheim staying, next coach - March 24, 2017
- For Syracuse, another one-goal win against Johns Hopkins comes as no surprise - March 19, 2017
- Instant Juice: Mike Hopkins to leave Syracuse, take over at Washington - March 19, 2017