Syracuse will try for its second conference win of the season when it hosts NC State on Saturday. Here is a quick look at the game:
PLAYERS DISCIPLINED: When North Carolina State takes the field against Syracuse on Saturday, they will be without defensive tackle T.Y. McGill. The third leading tackler for the Wolfpack will be serving the second of a two-game suspension for an unspecified violation of team rules. According to reports, the suspension has nothing to do with an off-campus BB gun incident that caused coach Dave Doeren to suspend seven players in last week’s loss against Louisville. Those players — Jerod Fernandez, Josh Jones, Johnathan Alston, Justin Jones, Pharoah McKever, Jumichael Ramos and Mike Stevens — will be back in uniform against SU. “These are good young men who made a mistake in not recognizing that this activity could have resulted in someone being injured,” Doeren said in a statement. “Our players admitted their mistake and we will help them learn from it.”
SCOUTING THE WOLFPACK: After sweeping their non-conference schedule, the Wolfpack has dropped four in a row in ACC play. NC State gave then-No. 1 Florida State a scare, leading by 17 points before Jameis Winston and company rallied for a 56-41 win. Since that game, the Wolfpack offense has struggled mightily, starting with a 41-0 drubbing against Clemson. NC State then lost its next two games against Boston College and Louisville. Florida transfer QB Jacoby Brissett has been impressive so far this year, throwing for 1796 yards and 16 touchdowns to just three interceptions, but he lacks the experience in his receiver core. Still, the future is bright with freshman Bo Hines leading the team in receiving (28 receptions for 422 yards). The Wolfpack will also need to jump start its running game, which has averaged just 96.6 yards on the ground in the last three games. That starts with lead back Shadrach Thornton, which has 477 yards and seven touchdowns on the season, and backup Matt Dayes, who has 343 yards and three scores.
HISTORICALLY SPEAKING: North Carolina State is 6-1 against Syracuse. The Orange won its first-ever game against the Wolfpack last season, 24-10. Running backs Jerome Smith and Prince-Tyson Gulley led Syracuse with 100+ yard games.
GAME INFORMATION: Saturday, Nov. 1 at 3 p.m. in Syracuse, NY. TV: ESPN3.
- Syracuse 31, Connecticut 24 — What we learned - September 26, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: 2017 defensive end Jonathan Kingsley commits to Syracuse - September 26, 2016
- Connecticut Huskies — 2016 Syracuse football scouting report - September 23, 2016
- Even Syracuse football’s best coaches needed time - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse makes Mohamed Bamba’s final seven - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse coach Gerry McNamara visits Hamidou Diallo - September 20, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse offers 2018 QB Devin Leary - September 19, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 20, South Florida 45 - September 17, 2016
- Before Syracuse, Babers’ teams at Eastern Illinois, Bowling Green were routed, too - September 16, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse and Kentucky working hardest for Quade Green - September 16, 2016