Syracuse will wrap up its regular season when it plays Notre Dame Saturday night at MetLife Stadium. Here is a quick look at the game:
PLAYER HEARINGS NEAR: During his weekly press conference on Tuesday, Notre Dame head coach Brian Kelly said a resolution is coming soon to an academic dishonesty investigation. Five players — cornerback KeiVarae Russell, receiver DaVaris Daniels, defensive end (and former Syracuse recruit) Ishaq Williams, defensive back Eilar Hardy and linebacker Kendall Moore– have been withheld from football activities since August pending an honor code hearing that should wrap up next week. When asked what he thought about the process, Kelly paused, smiled, and said, “I don’t have an opinion and I really wouldn’t want to share it publicly.” The allegations have tempered the excitement of an undefeated start for Notre Dame.
SCOUTING THE FIGHTING IRISH: Notre Dame is tops in the nation in taking care of the ball in no small part because of quarterback Everett Golson. Through three games, Golson has played virtually mistake free football, completing more than 64 percent of his passes for seven touchdowns and zero interceptions. That has allowed the Irish to rank No. 1 in turnover margin per game at 2.67 and overall turnover margin at +8. Compare that with Golson’s 2012 season, when he completed just 58.8 percent of his passes and had a 12 touchdown to six interception ratio. Notre Dame will also benefit from the return of safety Austin Collinsworth, who had been sidelined with an MCL sprain, and receiver Torii Hunter Jr., who is coming back from a groin tear).
HISTORICALLY SPEAKING: The all-time series is tied at three between the two teams. The last time they played was in 2008, with Syracuse winning 24-23 in what was the “best” win of the Greg Robinson era. Quarterback Cameron Dantley’s 11-yard touchdown pass to Donte Davis with 42 seconds left provided the go-ahead score.
GAME INFORMATION: Saturday, Sept. 27 at 8 p.m. at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ. TV: ABC.
- Syracuse 31, Connecticut 24 — What we learned - September 26, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: 2017 defensive end Jonathan Kingsley commits to Syracuse - September 26, 2016
- Connecticut Huskies — 2016 Syracuse football scouting report - September 23, 2016
- Even Syracuse football’s best coaches needed time - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse makes Mohamed Bamba’s final seven - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse coach Gerry McNamara visits Hamidou Diallo - September 20, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse offers 2018 QB Devin Leary - September 19, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 20, South Florida 45 - September 17, 2016
- Before Syracuse, Babers’ teams at Eastern Illinois, Bowling Green were routed, too - September 16, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse and Kentucky working hardest for Quade Green - September 16, 2016