Syracuse will wrap up its regular season when it plays Notre Dame Saturday night at MetLife Stadium. Here is a quick look at the game:
PLAYER HEARINGS NEAR: During his weekly press conference on Tuesday, Notre Dame head coach Brian Kelly said a resolution is coming soon to an academic dishonesty investigation. Five players — cornerback KeiVarae Russell, receiver DaVaris Daniels, defensive end (and former Syracuse recruit) Ishaq Williams, defensive back Eilar Hardy and linebacker Kendall Moore– have been withheld from football activities since August pending an honor code hearing that should wrap up next week. When asked what he thought about the process, Kelly paused, smiled, and said, “I don’t have an opinion and I really wouldn’t want to share it publicly.” The allegations have tempered the excitement of an undefeated start for Notre Dame.
SCOUTING THE FIGHTING IRISH: Notre Dame is tops in the nation in taking care of the ball in no small part because of quarterback Everett Golson. Through three games, Golson has played virtually mistake free football, completing more than 64 percent of his passes for seven touchdowns and zero interceptions. That has allowed the Irish to rank No. 1 in turnover margin per game at 2.67 and overall turnover margin at +8. Compare that with Golson’s 2012 season, when he completed just 58.8 percent of his passes and had a 12 touchdown to six interception ratio. Notre Dame will also benefit from the return of safety Austin Collinsworth, who had been sidelined with an MCL sprain, and receiver Torii Hunter Jr., who is coming back from a groin tear).
HISTORICALLY SPEAKING: The all-time series is tied at three between the two teams. The last time they played was in 2008, with Syracuse winning 24-23 in what was the “best” win of the Greg Robinson era. Quarterback Cameron Dantley’s 11-yard touchdown pass to Donte Davis with 42 seconds left provided the go-ahead score.
GAME INFORMATION: Saturday, Sept. 27 at 8 p.m. at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ. TV: ABC.
- Waters: 2017-18 Syracuse basketball has path to NCAA Tournament bid - October 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 27, Clemson 24 - October 13, 2017
- Experience with Syracuse basketball’s zone can be indicator of defensive efficiency - October 11, 2017
- 2017-18 Syracuse basketball: Best and worst case scenarios - October 5, 2017
- Does experience necessarily translate into wins for Syracuse basketball? - October 4, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 25, NC State 33 - September 30, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 26, LSU 35 - September 23, 2017
- Does Syracuse football have a puncher’s chance against LSU? - September 22, 2017
- What will Syracuse basketball’s starting lineup look like in 2017-18? - September 21, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 23, Middle Tennessee 30 - September 9, 2017