Syracuse will try to move to 2-0 when they head to Central Michigan to play the Chippewas. Here is a quick look at the game:
BIG 10 ROUT: When Central Michigan rolled into West Lafayette to play Purdue, it was already without wide receiver and 2013 MVP Titus Davis, who was forced out with a sprain knee. In the opening quarter, the Chippewas also lost kicker Ron Coluzzi to a concussion. None of that prevented Central Michigan from handily defeating the Boilermakers on the road to win their second game in three seasons against a Big 10 opponent (they also defeated Iowa on the road in 2012). The Chippewas benefited from a flurry of Purdue mistakes, and capitalized each time for a 38-17 pummeling. CMU’s Brandon Greer returned an interception 57 yards for a touchdown on the game’s first drive, and Purdue’s Frankie Williams was ejected from the game for a vicious hit on a defenseless receiver in the first half. On the afternoon, the Boilermakers turned the ball over three times, and were flagged seven times for 69 yards.
SCOUTING THE CHIPPEWAS: While Purdue was stumbling, Central Michigan received stellar play from QB Cooper Rush (11-for-16 passing for 172 yards and two TDs) and back Thomas Rawls (155 yards and two touchdowns on 31 carries). Rush hooked up with Anthony Rice for a 65-yard strike on CMU’s first possession to put the Chippewas out front 14-0, and then Rawls would punch it into the end zone midway through the second quarter to give CMU a 21-7 lead. Rawls and Rush would combine for two more touchdowns as Central Michigan improved to 2-0 for the first time since the 2002 season.
HISTORICALLY SPEAKING: Syracuse and Central Michigan have faced each other only once, with the Orange winning 47-7 on Sept. 11, 1999 at the Carrier Dome. QB Troy Nunes threw for 170 yards and three touchdowns, as SU raced out to a 34-7 lead at half. Receiver Quinton Spotwood added six catches for 135 yards and two scores.
GAME INFORMATION: Saturday, Sept. 13 at 12 p.m. at Mount Pleasant, Michigan. TV: ESPNews.
- Waters: 2017-18 Syracuse basketball has path to NCAA Tournament bid - October 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 27, Clemson 24 - October 13, 2017
- Experience with Syracuse basketball’s zone can be indicator of defensive efficiency - October 11, 2017
- 2017-18 Syracuse basketball: Best and worst case scenarios - October 5, 2017
- Does experience necessarily translate into wins for Syracuse basketball? - October 4, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 25, NC State 33 - September 30, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 26, LSU 35 - September 23, 2017
- Does Syracuse football have a puncher’s chance against LSU? - September 22, 2017
- What will Syracuse basketball’s starting lineup look like in 2017-18? - September 21, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 23, Middle Tennessee 30 - September 9, 2017