Simply put, the schedule is not favorable. The Orange open with FCS opponent Villanova, then have one of their two bye weeks. While it will be nice to get back to the drawing board after the opener and have a couple weeks to make adjustments before gearing up for their next game, the trip to Central Michigan starts a stretch of nine straight weeks with games. This march includes the treacherous five-week stretch beginning with Notre Dame and ending with Clemson.
Both the Irish (#17) and the Tigers (#16) are ranked in the pre-season top 20 and the defending national champs from Florida State are an almost unanimous choice atop the pre-season poll. Louisville is a team that, while not in the top 25, received a significant number of votes, and the Orange will welcome them to the Carrier Dome on a short week. That leaves Wake Forest as the lone team in that run that should be a win. If SU can emerge from October in mostly one piece (and with more than one win), they should feel quite good about themselves.
Syracuse has a manageable final month starting with the two home contests. N.C. State is expected to be an improved ACC squad and Duke is the defending champion of the Coastal Division. Getting both teams at home should help, as will the Orange knowing they defeated the Wolfpack on the road last year, as well as a couple major preseason injuries weakening the Blue Devils. After their second bye week, Syracuse closes with a couple familiar foes, facing both Pitt and Boston College on the road. Pitt is one of the most talented teams in the Coastal Division and the Eagles will be rebuilding this season.
|8/29||vs. Villanova||7:30 ET|
|9/13||at Central Michigan||12:00 ET|
|9/27||vs. 17 Notre Dame||TBA|
|10/3||vs. Louisville||7:00 ET|
|10/11||vs. 1 Florida State||TBA|
|10/18||at Wake Forest||TBA|
|10/25||at 16 Clemson||TBA|
|11/1||vs. North Carolina State||TBA|
|11/29||at Boston College||TBA|
- Syracuse football showing improvement in all three phases - October 16, 2017
- Syracuse football pulls off epic upset, toppling No. 2 Clemson - October 14, 2017
- Tale of the talent tape: Clemson vs. (10 years of) Syracuse football - October 12, 2017
- For Syracuse, a slow start, but a good ending against Pittsburgh - October 8, 2017
- Dino Babers is not a magician, Syracuse football still needs time - October 2, 2017
- Penalties prove costly as Syracuse football loses to NC State - October 1, 2017
- How does Syracuse football compare to last year through four games? - September 29, 2017
- Syracuse football shows some spirit but still loses to LSU - September 24, 2017
- Syracuse football rediscovers offense in rout of Central Michigan - September 17, 2017
- Scott Shafer lifts Middle Tennessee over Syracuse in return to Carrier Dome - September 10, 2017