As we countdown to kickoff in August, we’re going to be doing a team-by-team preview each Tuesday over the summer. SU will continue its 2014 ACC conference schedule when they play Wake Forest on Oct. 25.
RELOADING, NOT REBUILDING: Clemson looks like a completely different team on offense this year. In one season, Clemson lost its quarterback (Tajh Boyd), two elite receivers (Sammy Watkins, Martavis Bryant) and their leading rusher (Rod McDowell). It didn’t help that one of the possible heirs to Boyd’s position, Chad Kelly, had an acrimonious departure from the team following “conduct detrimental to the program” at the team’s spring game. Still, the Tigers seemed poised to continue their recent success. Senior quarterback Cole Stoudt has slide into the starting role, while sophomore receiver Mike Williams has drawn high praise in spring practices. Dabo Swinney is also counting on backs Zac Brooks and D.J. Howard to soften the departure of McDowell.
WHO TO WATCH FOR: Defensive coordinator Brent Venables has a talented group on the defensive side of the ball, headlined by end Vic Beasley. The senior surprised some by not leaving early after he recorded 13 sacks and was named an All-American. Fellow senior Stephone Anthony headlines a deep linebacker core. Anthony led the Tigers in tackles (131) last season, and also recorded 13.5 tackles for a loss.
PREDICTION: Clemson could easily find itself with double-digit wins at the end of the season. Clemson opens at Georgia and finishes by hosting South Carolina, but with the exception of an ACC contest at Florida State, the Tigers have a mostly favorable schedule. SYRACUSE 21, CLEMSON 42.
- Waters: 2017-18 Syracuse basketball has path to NCAA Tournament bid - October 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 27, Clemson 24 - October 13, 2017
- Experience with Syracuse basketball’s zone can be indicator of defensive efficiency - October 11, 2017
- 2017-18 Syracuse basketball: Best and worst case scenarios - October 5, 2017
- Does experience necessarily translate into wins for Syracuse basketball? - October 4, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 25, NC State 33 - September 30, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 26, LSU 35 - September 23, 2017
- Does Syracuse football have a puncher’s chance against LSU? - September 22, 2017
- What will Syracuse basketball’s starting lineup look like in 2017-18? - September 21, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 23, Middle Tennessee 30 - September 9, 2017