Former Syracuse guard Tyler Ennis was taken with the 18th pick in the 2014 NBA Draft by the Phoenix Suns. We sat down with NBA TV’s Jared Greenberg and NBA Scout Ryan Blake to get each of their takes on his NBA future.
About our panel:
- Jared Greenberg is a co-host of NBA.com Fantasy Insider with 10-year NBA veteran Dennis Scott, and also serves as a host for NBA TV’s GameTime on Thursdays during the regular season. Follow @NBATVJared
- With over 30 years of scouting experience, Ryan Blake is a much sought after speaker and scout. Blake is one of the foremost advisors that many turn to, having annual interviews with major publications, internet draft websites as well as being a regular guest on NBA-TV, Co-hosting the Draft Preview and a longstanding commentator on the D-League Draft. Follow @HoopsHighway
The Juice Online: How do you see Tyler Ennis fitting in with the Suns?
Jared Greenberg, NBA TV: I don’t think there could be a better fit in basketball in that sense, because the Suns want to get up and down with the quickness they have. They’re a team that’s looking for guys who are playmakers, and not necessarily for guys to fill certain positions. I’m sure the question will come up with where he fits with the roster itself in terms of playing time, but I think without a doubt he’s a Jeff Hornacek kind of guy. When a team has one strength sometimes the philosophy is to build on it, because if something were to happen to it, you’d still have that style of play available to you that fits the rest of your team. From an offensive standpoint, there’s no question that Tyler will give Phoenix what they’re looking for. I think the real question will be how he can contribute on the defensive end.
Ryan Blake, NBA Scout: There’s some uncertainty with Eric Bledsoe. They’ll need another guard to back up [Goran] Dragić if Bledsoe leaves. You’re adding what Ennis does. He’s so efficient. He’s a different guard. He’ll be great to learn. You’re bringing in an asset. As the summer goes along, you’ll get to evaluate strengths and get a feel for how he’s going to do. Whether you have three guards, you still have certainty here. It’s a good situation.
TJO: What type of role do you see Ennis playing in his first year even if they’re not clear favorites prior to the season?
RB: I think the summer will tell. Based on the potential of what we’ve seen before as an efficient unselfish part, it all depends on whether he’s able to defend. That’s how he’s going to able to earn his minutes and confidence at the point. Obviously, that all depends on what happens with the other guards.
JG: The other thing you have to keep in mind too, and now you’re discussion the rumors about Bledsoe and now Dragić that have been contradicted by some media outlets, but either way, I spoke to some people who feel that if it were end up being Dragić being the starting point guard and Tyler backing him up, that that could be a really beneficial scenario for Tyler getting some ample playing time and learning from a really quality point guard who spent time learning in this league. It takes a while unless you’re a superstar, you’re not going to come in right away and take over. Also, late in a game, having two guys on the floor who can handle the ball and hit free throws, it wouldn’t surprise me to see Dragić with Tyler on the court alongside him late in games.
- Star 2015 forward Thomas Bryant to visit Kentucky — Cuse Clicks - November 21, 2014
- In loss to Cal, Syracuse basketball’s inexperience shows - November 21, 2014
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 59, California 73 - November 20, 2014
- Thomas Bryant considering Syracuse, Indiana and Missouri — Cuse Clicks - November 20, 2014
- Lake Forest Academy DL Wesley Annan commits to Stanford — Cuse Clicks - November 19, 2014
- Syracuse commit Moustapha Diagne among elite recruits at Burger King Classic — Cuse Clicks - November 17, 2014
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 89, Kennesaw State 42 - November 14, 2014
- Roselle Catholic’s Isaiah Briscoe commits to Kentucky — Cuse Clicks - November 14, 2014
- Archbishop Carroll wing Derrick Jones to announce decision at 6 p.m. — Cuse Clicks - November 13, 2014
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 84, Adrian 35 - November 10, 2014