Each Thursday over the summer, The Juice Online will be counting down the top 10 moments in the 2013-14 basketball season. We continue our countdown with No. 9, Syracuse’s 69-52 win over Indiana at the Carrier Dome on Dec. 3.
WHAT HAPPENED: For the second time in 2013, Syracuse’s zone frustrated and vexed the Hoosiers.
In SU’s 61-50 win over Indiana in the 2013 Sweet 16, the 2-3 caused the Hoosiers to shoot 33 percent from the field and 3-15 from downtown. The numbers were similar on Dec. 3, with the Orange holding Indiana to just 36 percent from the field and 4-14 from downtown.
Most of the damage was done in the second half when the Orange turned a tightly contested 33-29 halftime game into a blowout. Noah Vonleh’s jumper with 17:48 tied the game at 33.
By the time Vonleh connected on Indiana’s second field goal in the second half, there was 5:08 left and Syracuse led 60-42.
While Indiana struggled to shoot, Trevor Cooney and backcourt mate Tyler Ennis had no such problems, accounting for 23 of SU’s 36 points in the second half. Syracuse shot 51 percent for the game and 6-13 from distance.
WHY IT’S NO. 9: While nothing will ever quite take away the memory of Keith Smart’s shot in the 1987 championship game, it’s always nice when Syracuse can beat Indiana in the NCAA tournament and for a second time just nine months later. The win also improved Syracuse to 8-0 on the season, and was a harbinger of things to come in Syracuse’s non-conference schedule.
Check in next week as we reveal No. 8 on our countdown.
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 27, Clemson 24 - October 13, 2017
- Experience with Syracuse basketball’s zone can be indicator of defensive efficiency - October 11, 2017
- 2017-18 Syracuse basketball: Best and worst case scenarios - October 5, 2017
- Does experience necessarily translate into wins for Syracuse basketball? - October 4, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 25, NC State 33 - September 30, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 26, LSU 35 - September 23, 2017
- Does Syracuse football have a puncher’s chance against LSU? - September 22, 2017
- What will Syracuse basketball’s starting lineup look like in 2017-18? - September 21, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 23, Middle Tennessee 30 - September 9, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 50, Central Connecticut State 7 - September 1, 2017