A quick take on Syracuse’s 15-9 win over Hobart in the team’s 100th meeting in school history:
WHAT HAPPENED: Down 8-7 with 1:53 left in the third quarter, the Orange scored five unanswered goals to take a 12-8 lead with 9:22 left in the fourth quarter, and tacked on three late goals to reclaim the Kraus-Simmons Trophy. SU had to overcome an early 6-2 hole, and did so thanks to Randy Staats and Kevin Rice, who scored Syracuse’s first eight goals. The Orange defense also began to assert itself after a shaky start, holding Hobart to just three goals in the final 35 minutes, while forcing nine turnovers.
WHAT IT MEANS: Chris Daddio’s struggles at the X seem to be a thing of the past. For the fifth straight game (coinciding with SU’s five game win streak) Daddio turned in another solid performance, winning 15-of-26 faceoffs. Syracuse also displayed an impressive array of offensive firepower. While Staats and Rice carried the Orange through the first half, the rest of SU’s attack got involved in the second half to overwhelm the Statesmen. Six different Orange players scored, while seven picked up at least one assist. Syracuse has now won the Kraus-Simmons Trophy 26 of 29 times since the teams starting playing for the trophy in 1986.
STAR GAZING: A week and a half ago, Staats and Rice scored 16 points as Syracuse upset Cornell. Well, the two were at it again on Saturday, with Staats finishing with eight points on five goals and three assists, while Rice chipped in with six points on four goals and two assists. The goalie split between Bobby Wardwell and Dominic Lamolinara continues to thrive, with the duo combining for seven saves.
WHAT’S NEXT: How much has Syracuse improved since its mid-season lull? We’ll find out when the third-seeded Orange take on second-seeded Duke in the ACC Tournament semifinal on Friday, April 25 at 5 p.m. at PPL Park in Chester, Pa. The Blue Devils completely dominated SU in a 21-7 win earlier in the season.
- Waters: 2017-18 Syracuse basketball has path to NCAA Tournament bid - October 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 27, Clemson 24 - October 13, 2017
- Experience with Syracuse basketball’s zone can be indicator of defensive efficiency - October 11, 2017
- 2017-18 Syracuse basketball: Best and worst case scenarios - October 5, 2017
- Does experience necessarily translate into wins for Syracuse basketball? - October 4, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 25, NC State 33 - September 30, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 26, LSU 35 - September 23, 2017
- Does Syracuse football have a puncher’s chance against LSU? - September 22, 2017
- What will Syracuse basketball’s starting lineup look like in 2017-18? - September 21, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 23, Middle Tennessee 30 - September 9, 2017