A quick take on Syracuse’s 11-10 win against North Carolina on Saturday evening:
WHAT HAPPENED: What looked like a rout turned into a nail-biter as the Orange, down 6-3 at half and looking stymied by the Tar Heel D, stormed back to tie things up at 7 going into the fourth quarter. Syracuse took its first lead, 9-8, on a Nicky Galasso goal with 7:47 remaining, but the Tar Heels equalized, then took the lead again with just over 3 minutes to go. But Kevin Rice tied things up with 8 seconds to go, and, after a wild overtime-and-a-half, Billy Ward whipped a high shot past UNC goalkeeper Kieran Burke to give the Orange a huge victory.
WHAT IT MEANS: This was an absolute stone-cold classic. The Orange secured a likely 3-seed in the 4-team ACC tournament and are riding the momentum from a string of impressive victories.
STAR GAZING: Ward and Rice share the spotlight for a pair of clutch goals to cap a furious SU comeback after the Orange went scoreless in a quarter for the first time all year. This was a wildly entertaining game, with great play on both sides.
UNC’s Jimmy Bitter scored 4 goals, and Burke was superb between the pipes, turning away a would-be game winner from Rice as the clock ran out in the first overtime.
WHAT’S NEXT: Syracuse will travel to Geneva, NY to take on upstate rival Hobart on Saturday, April 19, at 3 p.m. TV: TWCS.
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 71, Louisiana Tech 69 - December 14, 2014
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 70, Loyola 37 - November 25, 2014
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 6, Louisville 28 - October 3, 2014
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 19, Colgate 6 - May 3, 2014
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 11, North Carolina 10 - April 12, 2014
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 10, Binghamton 8 - April 2, 2014
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 62, Georgia Tech 67 - March 4, 2014
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 59, Boston College 62 (OT) - February 19, 2014
- Enigmatic Syracuse forward Rakeem Christmas showcases offensive improvement - January 20, 2014
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 57, North Carolina 45 - January 11, 2014