Syracuse defeated rival Johns Hopkins on a sunny Saturday afternoon in Baltimore. Here is a look back at the game:
WHAT HAPPENED: Syracuse jumped out to a 7-3 halftime lead and led 10-6 after the third quarter before Johns Hopkins pulled to within 11-10 with 9:38 left. It would remain that way until 2:13 left, when Dylan Donahue scored his third and final goal of the day after freshman Scott Firman created momentum changing turnover. The win was Syracuse’s fifth in its last six games against the Blue Jays, and came on an afternoon when the Orange was again dominated in the faceoff category.
WHAT IT MEANS: The good news was that Syracuse played one of its best defensive games of the season and continued its efficiency on offense. The Orange was able to hand the Blue Jays their first loss of the season by holding them to 10 goals, switching to a stifling zone defense that packed in tight around Dominic Lamolinara. Syracuse forced 12 turnovers and showed a vastly improved clearing game, going a perfect 6-6 in the third quarter and 18-21 for the game. On offense, the Orange scored on 12 of 30 opportunities (40 percent), raising its season total to 38.9 percent (82-211). The bad news continues to be faceoffs. Syracuse was once again dominated in this category, going 4-21 against the Blue Jays. If Syracuse hopes to return to the Final Four, the Orange will need a significantly better performance from Chris Daddio or will need answers from elsewhere.
STAR GAZING: Donahue’s goal with under three minutes left gave Syracuse some much needed breathing room, and also gave him four points (3 goals and 1 assist) on the day. SU’s offensive attack was fairly balanced, with eight players accounting for the 12 goals. In contrast, Johns Hopkins got a stellar effort from Ryan Brown, who scored eight goals, but Johns Hopkins coach Dave Pietramala couldn’t get much from anyone else.
WHAT’S NEXT: Syracuse will play a rematch of the 2013 National Championship game when they play at Duke on March 23 at 12:30 p.m. at Koskinen Stadium. TV: ESPNU.
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 72, Toledo 64 - November 22, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 74, Oakland 50 - November 20, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 80, Texas Southern 67 - November 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 10, Louisville 56 - November 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 71, Iona 62 - November 14, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 43, Wake Forest 64 - November 11, 2017
- Cornell Big Red — 2017-18 Syracuse scouting report with Ivy Hoops Online - November 10, 2017
- Syracuse basketball: Three things to look for against Southern Connecticut State - November 6, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 24, Florida State 27 - November 4, 2017
- Syracuse basketball: Three things to look for against Southern New Hampshire - October 30, 2017