Syracuse won the inaugural Cobb County Lacrosse Classic at Fifth Third Bank Stadium, topping St. John’s 14-8. Here is a look back at the game:
WHAT HAPPENED: Syracuse scored eight unanswered goals spanning from 3:16 left in the first quarter until 14:04 in the third quarter, turning a narrow 4-3 lead into a 12-3 blowout. Kevin Rice had its fingerprints all over that run, assisting or scoring on five of those goals en route to his second eight-point game of the season. The Orange also outshot the Red Storm 40-35 and allowed St. John’s to score on just one of six man-up opportunities.
WHAT IT MEANS: One week after the Orange was demolished in the faceoff category 24-7 by Virginia, SU saw some improvement. Syracuse ultimately lost the faceoff category 15-10, but had an 8-7 advantage after two quarters, which helped propel the Orange to an 11-3 lead at halftime. Syracuse’s defense, which had allowed 33 goals in its last two games, rebounded in limiting the Red Storm to eight goals. St. John’s turned the ball over 17 times while goalie Dominic Lamolinara notched 12 saves in three quarters of action before yielding to Bobby Wardwell in the fourth.
STAR GAZING: A lot of career-highs or season-highs on the day. As previously mentioned, Rice was the catalyst for an efficient Orange attack, notching a career-high 4 goals to go along with 4 assists. Senior Derek Maltz started at attack because of an injury to Randy Staats, and scored a season-high 4 goals. The aforementioned stingy defense was led by Brandon Mullins, who collected six ground balls and forced four turnovers, both career highs.
WHAT’S NEXT: Syracuse heads down to Baltimore to play rival Johns Hopkins on Sunday, March 15 at 12 p.m. at Homewood Field. TV: ESPNU.
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 72, Toledo 64 - November 22, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 74, Oakland 50 - November 20, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 80, Texas Southern 67 - November 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 10, Louisville 56 - November 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 71, Iona 62 - November 14, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 43, Wake Forest 64 - November 11, 2017
- Cornell Big Red — 2017-18 Syracuse scouting report with Ivy Hoops Online - November 10, 2017
- Syracuse basketball: Three things to look for against Southern Connecticut State - November 6, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 24, Florida State 27 - November 4, 2017
- Syracuse basketball: Three things to look for against Southern New Hampshire - October 30, 2017