A quick take on Syracuse’s 67-62 loss against Georgia Tech on Tuesday evening:
WHAT HAPPENED: Georgia Tech, 4-14 in the ACC, thoroughly outplayed the Orange at both ends of the floor and held a 13-point lead in the second half. Relying on a full-court press for the first time this season, the Orange was able to cut the deficit to 61-59 with 34 seconds left after Michael Gbinije tipped in a CJ Fair miss. But Trae Golden went 6-6 from the line down the stretch, and the Orange missed three of its final four shots to drop its four game of the season.
ANALYSIS: Well, that one hurt. The only thing that might make this not the most depressing loss of the season is that the average Orange fan is probably pretty well numb at this point. The comeback at the end was nice, I guess, but the fact that they were in a 13-point hole to begin with is terrible. This loss was terrible. This team, at the moment, is terrible.
What the Orange needs most: rest, and Jerami Grant. The Orange have played in a ton of tough games, and its stars have carried a huge load. More than the physical toll, that has to drag you down mentally, and the Orange made its share of sloppy plays and poor decisions. CJ Fair looked absolutely gassed at the end, even as he was doing everything he could to help the Orange claw back into it.
HERO: Georgia Tech spread the scoring around, with three players in double figures and another with 9. Daniel Miller was the high scorer with 15 to go along with 6 boards, 4 assists and 6 blocks. CJ Fair deserves a nod here, also. On Senior Night, he didn’t let the Orange go down without a fight, leading a late comeback even when it looked like his legs were dead. He scored 28 to lead the Orange, but got virtually no help.
ZERO: Everyone on the Orange or associated with the Syracuse basketball program in any way. Also, Dr. James Naismith, for inventing the game of basketball. You allowed this to happen, sir.
Also, going 7-16 from the line in a game decided by 5 points is not good.
WHAT’S NEXT: Syracuse will wrap up the regular season when it heads down to Florida to play the Seminoles on Sunday, March 9 at 2 p.m. TV: ACC Network.
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 71, Louisiana Tech 69 - December 14, 2014
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 70, Loyola 37 - November 25, 2014
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 6, Louisville 28 - October 3, 2014
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 19, Colgate 6 - May 3, 2014
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 11, North Carolina 10 - April 12, 2014
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 10, Binghamton 8 - April 2, 2014
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 62, Georgia Tech 67 - March 4, 2014
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 59, Boston College 62 (OT) - February 19, 2014
- Enigmatic Syracuse forward Rakeem Christmas showcases offensive improvement - January 20, 2014
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 57, North Carolina 45 - January 11, 2014