Syracuse dropped to 0-2 in ACC play with a loss at Virginia on Saturday evening. Here is a look back at the game:
WHAT HAPPENED: Syracuse jumped out to an early 3-0 lead midway through the first quarter, but Virginia rallied for six unanswered goals and took an 8-6 lead into halftime. The lead would balloon to 13-9 before Hakeem Lecky nearly single-handedly willed the Orange back into the game with three second half goals. The last of that trio pulled SU to within 14-12 with 7:43 left. But Zed Williams scored less than a minute later, and Virginia would add two more goals from there.
WHAT IT MEANS: Syracuse’s main problem in the 2013 campaign continues to haunt SU in its 2014 season. Last year, the Orange won just 42 percent of faceoffs, and that bugaboo hurt the Orange again on Saturday. Virginia won that category 24-7, including 8 of 9 in the third period. Unfortunately for Syracuse, that was only part of the problem. The Orange struggled to clear in the third period (4 of 8) and also was trounced 51-22 in ground balls. While the offense was efficient, scoring on 12 of its 32 shots, the fact remains that SU isn’t on offense enough to make that count. The Cavaliers dominated possession time and outshot the Orange 55-32.
STAR GAZING: Syracuse couldn’t do much to stop James Pannell, as he scored seven goals on 12 shots. Mark Cockerton matched him in points, scoring 4 goals and adding 3 assists. SU goalie Dominic Lamolinara played nearly the entire game, save for 27 seconds, and notched 14 saves. The goalie made up for some obvious deficiencies in the defense.
WHAT’S NEXT: Syracuse flies down to the Atlanta area to take on St. John’s in the Cobb County Lacrosse Classic. The game, played in Kennesaw, Ga., will be on Saturday, March 8 at 4 p.m.
- Notre Dame Fighting Irish — 2016 Syracuse football scouting report - September 30, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse begins recruitment of Billy Preston - September 30, 2016
- Syracuse 31, Connecticut 24 — What we learned - September 26, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: 2017 defensive end Jonathan Kingsley commits to Syracuse - September 26, 2016
- Connecticut Huskies — 2016 Syracuse football scouting report - September 23, 2016
- Even Syracuse football’s best coaches needed time - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse makes Mohamed Bamba’s final seven - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse coach Gerry McNamara visits Hamidou Diallo - September 20, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse offers 2018 QB Devin Leary - September 19, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 20, South Florida 45 - September 17, 2016