Syracuse dropped to 0-2 in ACC play with a loss at Virginia on Saturday evening. Here is a look back at the game:
WHAT HAPPENED: Syracuse jumped out to an early 3-0 lead midway through the first quarter, but Virginia rallied for six unanswered goals and took an 8-6 lead into halftime. The lead would balloon to 13-9 before Hakeem Lecky nearly single-handedly willed the Orange back into the game with three second half goals. The last of that trio pulled SU to within 14-12 with 7:43 left. But Zed Williams scored less than a minute later, and Virginia would add two more goals from there.
WHAT IT MEANS: Syracuse’s main problem in the 2013 campaign continues to haunt SU in its 2014 season. Last year, the Orange won just 42 percent of faceoffs, and that bugaboo hurt the Orange again on Saturday. Virginia won that category 24-7, including 8 of 9 in the third period. Unfortunately for Syracuse, that was only part of the problem. The Orange struggled to clear in the third period (4 of 8) and also was trounced 51-22 in ground balls. While the offense was efficient, scoring on 12 of its 32 shots, the fact remains that SU isn’t on offense enough to make that count. The Cavaliers dominated possession time and outshot the Orange 55-32.
STAR GAZING: Syracuse couldn’t do much to stop James Pannell, as he scored seven goals on 12 shots. Mark Cockerton matched him in points, scoring 4 goals and adding 3 assists. SU goalie Dominic Lamolinara played nearly the entire game, save for 27 seconds, and notched 14 saves. The goalie made up for some obvious deficiencies in the defense.
WHAT’S NEXT: Syracuse flies down to the Atlanta area to take on St. John’s in the Cobb County Lacrosse Classic. The game, played in Kennesaw, Ga., will be on Saturday, March 8 at 4 p.m.
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 72, Toledo 64 - November 22, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 74, Oakland 50 - November 20, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 80, Texas Southern 67 - November 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 10, Louisville 56 - November 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 71, Iona 62 - November 14, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 43, Wake Forest 64 - November 11, 2017
- Cornell Big Red — 2017-18 Syracuse scouting report with Ivy Hoops Online - November 10, 2017
- Syracuse basketball: Three things to look for against Southern Connecticut State - November 6, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 24, Florida State 27 - November 4, 2017
- Syracuse basketball: Three things to look for against Southern New Hampshire - October 30, 2017