Syracuse will try to snap its losing streak when it heads to College Park to take on Maryland. Here is a quick look at the game:
DREAM SCENARIO: Maryland isn’t an NCAA tournament team right now. In fact, they’re barely on the fringe of the bubble. The Terps are seventh in the ACC with a 7-7 conference record and have a 15-12 overall record. But with games against Syracuse and Clemson this week, it could either launch, or torpedo, their NCAA hopes. A win over the Orange would be the resume win that the Terrapins have so desperately lacked this year. A victory over the Tigers would potentially vault Maryland into sixth in the ACC standings. That would leave two more games against Virginia Tech and Virginia. Running the table would give Maryland 19 wins on the season, and a good showing in the ACC tournament would probably be enough. Then again, this is the dream scenario for the Terps, who are realistically left with a razor-thin margin in their final season in the ACC.
SCOUTING THE TERRAPINS: The Terps will have had six days off since their last game, and Maryland is expecting a sellout crowd at the Comcast Center, with the students planning a “Flash Mob” that made headlines against Duke last year. Dez Wells leads the team in scoring at 14.8 points per game after having diversified his offensive portfolio this season. Though Wells is mostly known for his powerful drives to the basket, he can also score on his midrange jumper and capped a brilliant 21-point performance against Miami on Jan. 29 with a game-winning 3-pointer. Michigan transfer Evan Smotrycz averages 11.0 ppg and a team best 6.2 rpg.
HISTORICALLY SPEAKING: The last time these two teams met was in the 2008 NIT. Jonny Flynn scored 23 points and Donte Greene added 16 as the Orange advanced to the quarterfinals with a 88-72 win. Maryland owns the all-time series between the two teams, 5-2.
GAME INFORMATION: Monday, Feb. 24 at 7 p.m. at the Comcast Center in College Park, Maryland. TV: ESPN.
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 80, Texas Southern 67 - November 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 10, Louisville 56 - November 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 71, Iona 62 - November 14, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 43, Wake Forest 64 - November 11, 2017
- Cornell Big Red — 2017-18 Syracuse scouting report with Ivy Hoops Online - November 10, 2017
- Syracuse basketball: Three things to look for against Southern Connecticut State - November 6, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 24, Florida State 27 - November 4, 2017
- Syracuse basketball: Three things to look for against Southern New Hampshire - October 30, 2017
- Waters: 2017-18 Syracuse basketball has path to NCAA Tournament bid - October 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 27, Clemson 24 - October 13, 2017