Syracuse will try to move to 20-0 when it plays at Wake Forest on Wednesday night. Here is a quick look at the game:
TRAP GAME?: Syracuse plays its most anticipated game of the season this Saturday against Duke. A record crowd is expected at the Carrier Dome for the game and fans have (understandably) focused their attention there. But in the meantime, Syracuse will head down to Wake Forest team that is 4-3 in the ACC and 14-6 overall. As a result, this has been labeled a “trap game.” But during this week’s ACC media call, Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim dismissed any notion of any potential trap. “Players and coaches understand that every game is difficult, every road game is difficult,” Boeheim said. “We barely won our last two road games. We were behind in both games in the second half. We only get trapped if you beat everyone by 30 points and you play a team like that you might get fooled.” He also pointed out that Wake Forest is a perfect 12-0 this season, calling a “trap game” a media concoction.
SCOUTING THE DEMON DEACONS: Wake Forest defeated Notre Dame on Saturday, 65-58, which notched their 14th win of the season. It may not seem like much, but that win gave the Deacons their highest win total in the last three years. Guard Codi Miller-McIntyre has become the team’s leading scorer in his sophomore year, averaging 15.2 points, but has struggled shooting the ball from outside (24 percent). Forward Devin Thomas leads the team in rebounding (8.5), and is second on the team in points (11.5).
HISTORICALLY SPEAKING: These teams have only faced each other once before, with the Orange winning 74-67 in the preseason NIT championship on Nov. 23, 2001. Deshaun Williams scored 23 points and added six assists and six rebounds in the win.
GAME INFORMATION: Wednesday, Jan. 29 at 9 p.m. at Lawrence Joel Veterans Memorial Coliseum. TV: ACC Regional Network.
- Syracuse 31, Connecticut 24 — What we learned - September 26, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: 2017 defensive end Jonathan Kingsley commits to Syracuse - September 26, 2016
- Connecticut Huskies — 2016 Syracuse football scouting report - September 23, 2016
- Even Syracuse football’s best coaches needed time - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse makes Mohamed Bamba’s final seven - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse coach Gerry McNamara visits Hamidou Diallo - September 20, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse offers 2018 QB Devin Leary - September 19, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 20, South Florida 45 - September 17, 2016
- Before Syracuse, Babers’ teams at Eastern Illinois, Bowling Green were routed, too - September 16, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse and Kentucky working hardest for Quade Green - September 16, 2016