Syracuse will try to move to 20-0 when it plays at Wake Forest on Wednesday night. Here is a quick look at the game:
TRAP GAME?: Syracuse plays its most anticipated game of the season this Saturday against Duke. A record crowd is expected at the Carrier Dome for the game and fans have (understandably) focused their attention there. But in the meantime, Syracuse will head down to Wake Forest team that is 4-3 in the ACC and 14-6 overall. As a result, this has been labeled a “trap game.” But during this week’s ACC media call, Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim dismissed any notion of any potential trap. “Players and coaches understand that every game is difficult, every road game is difficult,” Boeheim said. “We barely won our last two road games. We were behind in both games in the second half. We only get trapped if you beat everyone by 30 points and you play a team like that you might get fooled.” He also pointed out that Wake Forest is a perfect 12-0 this season, calling a “trap game” a media concoction.
SCOUTING THE DEMON DEACONS: Wake Forest defeated Notre Dame on Saturday, 65-58, which notched their 14th win of the season. It may not seem like much, but that win gave the Deacons their highest win total in the last three years. Guard Codi Miller-McIntyre has become the team’s leading scorer in his sophomore year, averaging 15.2 points, but has struggled shooting the ball from outside (24 percent). Forward Devin Thomas leads the team in rebounding (8.5), and is second on the team in points (11.5).
HISTORICALLY SPEAKING: These teams have only faced each other once before, with the Orange winning 74-67 in the preseason NIT championship on Nov. 23, 2001. Deshaun Williams scored 23 points and added six assists and six rebounds in the win.
GAME INFORMATION: Wednesday, Jan. 29 at 9 p.m. at Lawrence Joel Veterans Memorial Coliseum. TV: ACC Regional Network.
- Waters: 2017-18 Syracuse basketball has path to NCAA Tournament bid - October 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 27, Clemson 24 - October 13, 2017
- Experience with Syracuse basketball’s zone can be indicator of defensive efficiency - October 11, 2017
- 2017-18 Syracuse basketball: Best and worst case scenarios - October 5, 2017
- Does experience necessarily translate into wins for Syracuse basketball? - October 4, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 25, NC State 33 - September 30, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 26, LSU 35 - September 23, 2017
- Does Syracuse football have a puncher’s chance against LSU? - September 22, 2017
- What will Syracuse basketball’s starting lineup look like in 2017-18? - September 21, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 23, Middle Tennessee 30 - September 9, 2017