A quick take on Syracuse’s 67-57 win against Wake Forest Wednesday night in SU’s first-ever appearance at Joel Coliseum in Winston-Salem, N.C., the victory matching the school record of the 2011-12 team with a 20-0 start:
WHAT HAPPENED: Up 26-23 after a poor first half of shooting (12% at one point) in which the Orange went almost 9:00 without a FG and made just a pair of three-point baskets, the ‘Cuse broke open a close game (42-39) just under the halfway point of the second half to pull away for the win, handing Wake its first home defeat, and having an opportunity to go for 21-0 start Saturday night versus Duke in the Dome.
ANALYSIS: On a night when the Syracuse outside shooting (36%) was uncharacteristically as cold as the unseasonably chilly weather outside “The Joel”, the Orange (20-0, 7-0) dominated on the glass at both ends (55-35 edge overall) for second chance opportunities on offense, and holding the Demon Deacons (14-7, 4-4) to one shot often on the defensive end. Baye Moussa Keita had five of the eight Orange blocked shots.
HERO: Once again the second half story of the Orange offense was Tyler Ennis, and all he did was play the entire 40 minutes even on a sore ankle he seemed to twist with under 5:00 to play. Ennis finished with 18 points, four assists, five rebounds and a steal.
ZERO: As in the point total scored by Trevor Cooney the first 38 minutes plus of the game, as he finished a 2-9 shooting night. Cooney’s all around hustle, however, was again on display with six rebounds, two assists, and a steal.
WHAT’S NEXT: Syracuse returns home Sat. night, Feb. 1, to play its most anticipated game of the season in front of a likely new on-campus record crowd of well over 35,000 against No. 16/17 Duke (17-4, 6-2). Game time: 6:30 p.m. ET / TV: ESPN.
- Orange Watch: Syracuse football has chance for encore against Top 10 team - October 17, 2017
- Orange Watch: Beating Clemson would accelerate timetable for rebirth of Syracuse football - October 10, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 27, Pittsburgh 24 - October 7, 2017
- Orange Watch: Already crunch time in ACC for Syracuse football - October 3, 2017
- Orange Watch: The quickest 7-0 score we’ve ever seen in a Syracuse football game - September 27, 2017
- Orange Watch: First Syracuse-LSU meeting in Louisiana was a historic Sugar Bowl tale - September 19, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 41, Central Michigan 17 - September 16, 2017
- Orange Watch: Former Syracuse coach Scott Shafer classless in victory - September 13, 2017
- Orange Watch: Syracuse v. Middle Tennessee highlights NCAA clock problem - September 12, 2017
- Orange Watch: Syracuse football coaches past and present match wits Saturday - September 5, 2017