CuseNation.com’s Mike McAllister calls in to talk about some of Syracuse football’s recruiting battles leading up to signing day with host Wes Cheng on The Juice on the Cuse podcast hosted by SNY.tv. Columnist Jim Stechschulte also calls in to chat about Syracuse’s close game against Pittsburgh and the loss of DaJuan Coleman.
Here are some highlights from the interview:
The Juice Online: Syracuse got a commitment from Juwan Dowels yesterday. How big of a get is that for Syracuse?
Mike McAllister: It’s big because, you just look at his offers and picked up offers from Oklahoma and Clemson late in the process, and he’s a kid from Florida, which obviously Syracuse and George McDonald have been targeting that state pretty hard in this class. But any time you can get a guy with offers from Clemson, who is one of your rivals because of the conference affiliation, it’s big and Oklahoma was really high on him. They graded him one of the most talented quarterbacks that was on their radar and yet Syracuse was able to land him.
TJO: Syracuse had several recruits on campus this weekend, including Steve Ishmael and Denzel Ward. Were does Syracuse stand with them?
MM: Ishmael has had Syracuse at the top of his list for a very long time and the visit did nothing to change that. In fact, I was talking to him while he was at the airport, waiting for his flight to go home, and he said he really didn’t want to leave. He was a little disappointed that he had to. That’s a very good sign for Syracuse […] With Denzel Ward going into the visit, I really thought South Florida was the favorite to land him. He grew up in the Tampa area and he has a lot of family connections down there and things like that. But he has some Syracuse connections. He went to high school with Kendall Moore once he moved out to Chicago and looked up to him like a mentor and older brother. He’s very good friends with Syracuse commit Aaron Roberts. So it’s those connections makes you think Syracuse has a chance. They made a very big impression over the weekend.
To subscribe, click the link above and then click VIEW IN iTunes, You will then see a button asking you to subscribe to the podcast.
2. Mike McAllister from CuseNation.com calls in
3. Juwan Dowels and Treevon Prater commitments
4. Latest on Steve Ishmael and Denzel Ward
5. What other battles is Syracuse fighting?
6. The Juice Online senior columnist Jim Stechschulte calls in
7. Loss of DaJuan Coleman
7. Tough win over Pitt
8. Development of Tyler Ennis
9. Improvement of Rakeem Christmas
10. Final thoughts and wrap up
- Boeheim’s Army general manager says Syracuse team will return in 2016 - July 31, 2015
- Recruiting Roundup: 2017 RB Kevin Mensah puts Syracuse football in his top six - July 31, 2015
- Devon Clark commits, but Syracuse football apparently doesn’t accept — Cuse Clicks - July 30, 2015
- Syracuse football picks up commitment from 2016 DE Jamal Holloway — Cuse Clicks - July 29, 2015
- Louisville Cardinals — 2015 Syracuse Football preview - July 29, 2015
- Moe Neal to choose between Syracuse, Wake Forest — Cuse Clicks - July 28, 2015
- Jamal Holloway to choose between Syracuse, three others on Tuesday — Cuse Clicks - July 27, 2015
- Julian Whigham — Meet the 2015 Syracuse Football team - July 23, 2015
- Florida State Seminoles — 2015 Syracuse Football preview - July 22, 2015
- Former Syracuse target Harry Giles cuts list to five schools — Cuse Clicks - July 21, 2015