CuseNation.com’s Mike McAllister calls in to talk about some of Syracuse football’s recruiting battles leading up to signing day with host Wes Cheng on The Juice on the Cuse podcast hosted by SNY.tv. Columnist Jim Stechschulte also calls in to chat about Syracuse’s close game against Pittsburgh and the loss of DaJuan Coleman.
Here are some highlights from the interview:
The Juice Online: Syracuse got a commitment from Juwan Dowels yesterday. How big of a get is that for Syracuse?
Mike McAllister: It’s big because, you just look at his offers and picked up offers from Oklahoma and Clemson late in the process, and he’s a kid from Florida, which obviously Syracuse and George McDonald have been targeting that state pretty hard in this class. But any time you can get a guy with offers from Clemson, who is one of your rivals because of the conference affiliation, it’s big and Oklahoma was really high on him. They graded him one of the most talented quarterbacks that was on their radar and yet Syracuse was able to land him.
TJO: Syracuse had several recruits on campus this weekend, including Steve Ishmael and Denzel Ward. Were does Syracuse stand with them?
MM: Ishmael has had Syracuse at the top of his list for a very long time and the visit did nothing to change that. In fact, I was talking to him while he was at the airport, waiting for his flight to go home, and he said he really didn’t want to leave. He was a little disappointed that he had to. That’s a very good sign for Syracuse […] With Denzel Ward going into the visit, I really thought South Florida was the favorite to land him. He grew up in the Tampa area and he has a lot of family connections down there and things like that. But he has some Syracuse connections. He went to high school with Kendall Moore once he moved out to Chicago and looked up to him like a mentor and older brother. He’s very good friends with Syracuse commit Aaron Roberts. So it’s those connections makes you think Syracuse has a chance. They made a very big impression over the weekend.
To subscribe, click the link above and then click VIEW IN iTunes, You will then see a button asking you to subscribe to the podcast.
2. Mike McAllister from CuseNation.com calls in
3. Juwan Dowels and Treevon Prater commitments
4. Latest on Steve Ishmael and Denzel Ward
5. What other battles is Syracuse fighting?
6. The Juice Online senior columnist Jim Stechschulte calls in
7. Loss of DaJuan Coleman
7. Tough win over Pitt
8. Development of Tyler Ennis
9. Improvement of Rakeem Christmas
10. Final thoughts and wrap up
- Dontae Strickland says he’s qualified to attend Syracuse — Cuse Clicks - May 22, 2015
- Kentucky, Oregon working hardest on Jamal Murray — Cuse Clicks - May 20, 2015
- Kurt Gavin plans to visit Syracuse after receiving offer — Cuse Clicks - May 18, 2015
- Syracuse lacrosse season ends against Johns Hopkins - May 18, 2015
- Syracuse lacrosse meets familiar foe Johns Hopkins in NCAA Tournament - May 15, 2015
- Dwayne Haskins, Jr. will announce college decision Friday — Cuse Clicks - May 14, 2015
- 2016 5-star guard Tyus Battle spurns Syracuse, selects Michigan — Cuse Clicks - May 12, 2015
- Syracuse lacrosse dominates in NCAA Tournament win over Marist - May 11, 2015
- Syracuse lacrosse opens 2015 NCAA Tournament against Marist - May 8, 2015
- Syracuse among top five for 2016 guard Alterique Gilbert — Cuse Clicks - May 7, 2015