BOSTON — The Boston College Eagles should just be glad they don’t play men’s lacrosse.
For the second time in the past two months, a Syracuse team used a second half rally to thwart a BC upset attempt. Back in November, Terrel Hunt connected with Josh Parris on an 8-yard touchdown pass with six seconds remaining to beat the Eagles while clinching bowl eligibility in the process. On Monday night, Jim Boeheim’s team trailed by eight midway through the second half but used a 16-1 run to storm back for the win.
While the offense struggled most of the night and Syracuse battled severe foul trouble – Rakeem Christmas, Jerami Grant and Baye Moussa Keita all finished with four fouls – the Orange managed to do just enough for the win. Here’s what went right for Syracuse:
Cooney got to the hoop using an assortment of drives and three breakaway transition dunks. He converted 3-of-4 from the line while grabbing four rebounds to go along with three steals.
Passing the Boards
Syracuse outrebounded BC by a slim 28-24 margin but the Orange doubled up the Eagles on the offensive glass, 14-7. Grant led the way with five while snatching a team-high eight rebounds.
The Orange forced 16 BC turnovers – 13 of which were steals – while only committing eight of their own. Tyler Ennis had six of those steals. CJ Fair and Cooney swiped three apiece.
The Charity Stripe
Syracuse converted 17-of-21 free throw attempts including 10-of-12 in the second. The Eagles missed ten of their 26 attempts. Ryan Anderson was the main culprit making only 6-of-13.
- Good and bad from Syracuse football’s clobbering of Colgate - September 7, 2016
- Syracuse basketball will have opportunity for revenge in 2016-17 - August 1, 2016
- Recruiting season is in full swing for Syracuse football, basketball teams - July 5, 2016
- 2016-17 Syracuse basketball: Sizing up what we know about the schedule - June 6, 2016
- Syracuse basketball: 25 years of NCAA Tournament 2-15 seed upsets - May 10, 2016
- Syracuse answered lingering question with Final Four run - April 14, 2016
- Michael Gbinije on list of elite Syracuse transfers - March 3, 2016
- How did Syracuse basketball become an NCAA bubble team? - February 11, 2016
- New Year’s Resolutions for Syracuse football - January 4, 2016
- Making a (Syracuse) list, checking it twice - December 24, 2015