BOSTON — The Boston College Eagles should just be glad they don’t play men’s lacrosse.
For the second time in the past two months, a Syracuse team used a second half rally to thwart a BC upset attempt. Back in November, Terrel Hunt connected with Josh Parris on an 8-yard touchdown pass with six seconds remaining to beat the Eagles while clinching bowl eligibility in the process. On Monday night, Jim Boeheim’s team trailed by eight midway through the second half but used a 16-1 run to storm back for the win.
While the offense struggled most of the night and Syracuse battled severe foul trouble – Rakeem Christmas, Jerami Grant and Baye Moussa Keita all finished with four fouls – the Orange managed to do just enough for the win. Here’s what went right for Syracuse:
Cooney got to the hoop using an assortment of drives and three breakaway transition dunks. He converted 3-of-4 from the line while grabbing four rebounds to go along with three steals.
Passing the Boards
Syracuse outrebounded BC by a slim 28-24 margin but the Orange doubled up the Eagles on the offensive glass, 14-7. Grant led the way with five while snatching a team-high eight rebounds.
The Orange forced 16 BC turnovers – 13 of which were steals – while only committing eight of their own. Tyler Ennis had six of those steals. CJ Fair and Cooney swiped three apiece.
The Charity Stripe
Syracuse converted 17-of-21 free throw attempts including 10-of-12 in the second. The Eagles missed ten of their 26 attempts. Ryan Anderson was the main culprit making only 6-of-13.
- How has Syracuse basketball looked through its first two games? - November 17, 2017
- Syracuse v. Florida State Football Prediction: This is SU’s year - November 3, 2017
- Eric Dungey, Syracuse answered critical question in Clemson win - October 19, 2017
- The good and bad of Syracuse football’s win over Central Connecticut - September 6, 2017
- Syracuse football’s recruiting low rankings are deceptive upon closer look - August 3, 2017
- Summer updates on Syracuse basketball, football recruiting - July 13, 2017
- 2018 Syracuse football recruiting off to a fast start - June 19, 2017
- A look at Syracuse basketball’s 2018 targets - May 4, 2017
- Who is Syracuse basketball still recruiting in the class of 2017? - May 3, 2017
- It’s been a busy offseason for Syracuse football - April 7, 2017