The Post-Standard columnist Bud Poliquin calls in to chat about the update to his book Tales from the Syracuse Orange’s Locker Room and discusses the current basketball team with host Wes Cheng on The Juice on the Cuse podcast hosted by SNY.tv. Editor in Chief Brad Bierman calls in to talk about SU’s narrow win over Miami and touches on the Syracuse football season.
Here are some highlights from the interview:
The Juice Online: Bud, tell us about the updated version of your book, Tales from the Syracuse Orange’s Locker Room.
Bud Poliquin: An original version of this book game out in 2003 following their national championship with Carmelo Anthony. The book was out, people buy it, they read it, they put it on their coffee table. They forget about it. So 10 years go by, 10 glorious years, and they asked me if I wanted to redo the back end of the book. Their task for me was to add on to what was already there. And I had a wide choice, because as you know, a lot has happened in these 10 years. These last five, Jim Boeheim has averaged 30 wins a year. I think we’re sitting in the glory years of Syracuse basketball, believe it or not, and I think these last 10 years between the big 6 overtime game in Madison Square Garden and Wesley Johnson coming here and the team going to Atlanta, there was a lot to choose from.
TJO: What are your thoughts on this year’s team?
BP: In this town of late, there’s kind of a Final Four or bust mentality over the last few years. We might even sneaking to the point where, ‘Hey, if you don’t win the national championship, what’s wrong with you?’ I’m looking at this team, and I don’t think this team is a classic NCAA championship contender. I just don’t think it’s that. However, we’re dealing in a fragmented college basketball world made so by all of the early defections to the NBA. This is a good year to be this year’s Syracuse University basketball team. I don’t think the field is that strong, and Syracuse has enough stuff, between the Tyler Ennises, Jerami Grants and CJ Fairs. If they hold serve, they’re going to get their opening games in Buffalo, and their eastern regional in Madison Square Garden. And that’s going to be tantamount to four quasi-home games. If they can hold serve, I think they have a great shot, I mean, a great shot of getting to the Final Four in Dallas.
To subscribe, click the link above and then click VIEW IN iTunes, You will then see a button asking you to subscribe to the podcast.
2. Post-Standard columnist Bud Poliquin calls in
3. Updates to Tales from the Syracuse Orange’s Locker Room
4. Chatting about Gerry McNamara
5. Thoughts on this year’s team
6. Editor in Chief Brad Bierman calls in
7. Syracuse’s narrow win over Miami
8. Closing the loop on the football season
9. Final thoughts and wrap up
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 30, Wake Forest 7 - October 18, 2014
- Syracuse Recruiting Links: Large group of recruits to attend Orange Madness - October 17, 2014
- Syracuse Recruiting Links: 2016 wing VJ King taking time with recruitment - October 16, 2014
- SNY.tv Syracuse podcast: Can football make a bowl; Previewing 2014-15 hoops - October 15, 2014
- Syracuse Recruiting Links: Tyus Battle has ‘great visit’ at SU - October 14, 2014
- Syracuse Recruiting Links: Trevon Duval, Jordan Tucker will be at Orange Madness - October 13, 2014
- Syracuse 20, Florida State 38 — What we learned - October 13, 2014
- Florida State Seminoles — 2014 Syracuse football scouting report - October 10, 2014
- Syracuse Recruiting Links: Tyus Battle plans to cut college list soon - October 9, 2014
- Syracuse Recruiting Links: Jordan Tucker to visit Cuse Oct. 17 - October 7, 2014