A quick take on Syracuse’s 93-65 thrashing of Binghamton on Saturday evening in front of an announced crowd of 25,844 at the Dome:
WHAT HAPPENED: In a game in which with less than three minutes in Jim Boeheim called a timeout furious with his team’s defensive positioning, the Orange (9-0) turned up the fullcourt and halfcourt pressure after trailing 11-3 early to lead by 24 at the half, and eventually blow past the Bearcats (2-7). The silky smooth C.J. Fair had 19 points scoring practically at will, as Syracuse figures to be no worse than ranked second in next week’s poll behind undefeated Arizona. Former Orange standout and staff member Lazarus Sims returned to the Dome as a Bearcats assistant.
ANALYSIS: With the first opportunity since winning the Maui Invitational and trashing Indiana, Boeheim was able to return to an 11 man rotation to get freshman Ron Patterson, Tyler Roberson and B.J. Johnson significant playing time, and Patterson had eight points and four rebounds with some good hustle on defense. The Syracuse pressure and zone controlled the game’s pace throughout.
HERO: Besides Fair who’s in a class by himself so far this season, another nice all around game for Trevor Cooney. In addition to his five baskets beyond the arc (SU had 13 ‘threes’ in the game), Cooney’s quickness in applying the defensive pressure that turned the game around within minutes in the first half caused BU havoc, and he added four steals, three rebounds, a block, and two assists to his ledger.
ZERO: Not taking advantage of many free scoring opportunities with a return of the dreaded missed free show problem. After upping the team shooting percentage to 87% in Hawaii, the ‘Cuse missed 10 foul shots versus Indiana and went 14 for 24 (58%) against BU. The Orange have been aggressive getting to the line, it will be critical to hit more free throws in upcoming ACC play.
WHAT’S NEXT: After eight days off for every student’s “favorite” week – Finals, Syracuse will head down to its second home at Madison Square Garden to take on St. John’s Sunday, Dec. 15. An old friend from Big East days, the Red Storm (6-2) will come into the SU meeting off their best game of the season, a 104-58 rout of Fordham Saturday at MSG. Game time: 12:00 p.m. ET / TV: Fox Sports 1.
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 77, Cornell 45 - November 10, 2017
- Orange Watch: Revamped roster for Syracuse basketball will need time to bloom - November 7, 2017
- Orange Watch: Seeking a ‘November to Remember’ for Syracuse Football - October 31, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse picked 10th in the ACC - October 26, 2017
- Orange Watch: Yearning for ACC football division reconfiguration - October 24, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 19, Miami 27 - October 21, 2017
- What Are Syracuse’s Chances Of Making a Bowl Game? - October 18, 2017
- Orange Watch: Syracuse football has chance for encore against Top 10 team - October 17, 2017
- Orange Watch: Beating Clemson would accelerate timetable for rebirth of Syracuse football - October 10, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 27, Pittsburgh 24 - October 7, 2017