Of course we know nothing compares to losing a NCAA Championship game, but there’s something we find uniquely poetic about the fact that since the Orange lost late to Bob Knight and his ’87 Indiana team in New Orleans, Jim Boeheim has not only gone 5-0 against the storied Hoosiers in the subsequent meetings, but three of the five were one-sided Orange domination.
The 102-78 rout of IU in Nov. 1988 at Madison Square Garden is famous for the Sherman Douglas hike pass to Stevie Thompson, while SU squeaked by 77-74 at Maui in ’90, and won by 13 In Lahaina in ’98.
Add last spring’s NCAA Sweet 16 blitz in D.C. with an overwhelming defensive effort that had the Hoosiers spending much of the second half with a point total stuck in the thirties (61-50 final), plus Tuesday night’s nearly 13 minute second half stretch between Indiana field goals at the Dome in a similar 69-52 victory, and it goes a long way to soften the most stinging loss in the Boeheim era.
- Orange Watch: A pleasure to finally meet Syracuse coach Dino Babers - September 27, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 31, Connecticut 24 - September 24, 2016
- Orange Watch: Tough to be patient with Syracuse in world of Power Five - September 20, 2016
- Orange Watch: The top quarterbacks to play against Syracuse in Carrier Dome history - September 13, 2016
- Orange Watch: If “Orange is the new fast” for Syracuse football, keep it coming - September 6, 2016
- Orange Watch: Part II, 2016 Syracuse football game-by-game previews and predictions - August 26, 2016
- Orange Watch: Part I, 2016 Syracuse football game-by-game previews and predictions - August 23, 2016
- Orange Watch: Will new Hall of Famer Marvin Harrison return to Syracuse this season? - August 9, 2016
- Orange Watch: NCAA graduate transfer rule could alter 2016-17 Syracuse basketball - July 26, 2016
- Orange Watch: Syracuse football will benefit from new AD, football coach, Carrier Dome - July 12, 2016