Item: The ACC buys a year of time, and maybe more, by holding the 2016 ACC Tournament in Washington, D.C.
When Syracuse fans talk about the ideal scenario for a conference basketball tournament, the minimum requirements are that it be held in a major U.S. city, one that’s relatively easily accessible for students and alumni by plane, train or automobile and falls in the program’s recruiting footprint, is held in a modern arena with luxury seating options and with plenty of establishments near-by for pre and post-game libations, and a myriad of touristy things to do in and around the basketball schedule.
It isn’t New York, but Washington may just be the next best choice fitting the aforementioned criteria in a geographically southern-tilted league to keep a little of the northern, big city flavor when it hosts the 2016 event, the first opening following the next two years in Greensboro.
Think about it Orange Nation; D.C. is a happening place that’s (a little) cheaper than New York and easy to get to from virtually anywhere in the northeast corridor, the Verizon Center has enough amenities, there’s a lot to do with one’s free time, and the ACC gets to stick it to departing Maryland by hosting its premier event in the shadow of the Terrapins campus.
Sure, there’s only one Madison Square Garden and nothing duplicates the electricity of Manhattan, but the Chinatown District and surrounding neighborhoods of the nation’s capital would be a lot better atmosphere over a five day event than downtown Greensboro or Charlotte.
- Orange Watch: Carrier Dome renovation will bring Syracuse pro sports atmosphere on college campus - May 24, 2016
- NCAA Lacrosse Instant Juice: Syracuse 7, Maryland 13 - May 21, 2016
- Orange Watch: In wide open NCAA tournament, Syracuse looks to knock off No. 1 Maryland - May 17, 2016
- Orange Watch: Under current rules, Syracuse players will continue to leave early for NBA - May 11, 2016
- Orange Watch: Syracuse jelling into national championship contender at right time - May 3, 2016
- ACC Lacrosse Instant Juice: Syracuse 14, Duke 8 - May 1, 2016
- ACC Lacrosse Instant Juice: Syracuse 10, North Carolina 7 - April 29, 2016
- Orange Watch: For Syracuse football coach Dino Babers, it’s about ‘growing’ Orange program - April 26, 2016
- Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim emotional recollecting the greatness of Pearl Washington - April 20, 2016
- Orange Watch: Plenty of season left for Syracuse lacrosse to secure high NCAA seed - April 19, 2016