Item: The ACC buys a year of time, and maybe more, by holding the 2016 ACC Tournament in Washington, D.C.
When Syracuse fans talk about the ideal scenario for a conference basketball tournament, the minimum requirements are that it be held in a major U.S. city, one that’s relatively easily accessible for students and alumni by plane, train or automobile and falls in the program’s recruiting footprint, is held in a modern arena with luxury seating options and with plenty of establishments near-by for pre and post-game libations, and a myriad of touristy things to do in and around the basketball schedule.
It isn’t New York, but Washington may just be the next best choice fitting the aforementioned criteria in a geographically southern-tilted league to keep a little of the northern, big city flavor when it hosts the 2016 event, the first opening following the next two years in Greensboro.
Think about it Orange Nation; D.C. is a happening place that’s (a little) cheaper than New York and easy to get to from virtually anywhere in the northeast corridor, the Verizon Center has enough amenities, there’s a lot to do with one’s free time, and the ACC gets to stick it to departing Maryland by hosting its premier event in the shadow of the Terrapins campus.
Sure, there’s only one Madison Square Garden and nothing duplicates the electricity of Manhattan, but the Chinatown District and surrounding neighborhoods of the nation’s capital would be a lot better atmosphere over a five day event than downtown Greensboro or Charlotte.
- Orange Watch: Perhaps now Jim Boeheim can even win 1000 games at Syracuse ‘twice’ - March 22, 2017
- Orange Watch: With Hopkins leaving Syracuse, a look back at March 19, 2015 - March 20, 2017
- NIT Instant Juice: Syracuse 80, Mississippi 85 - March 18, 2017
- Orange Watch: 2017 only the ninth non-NCAA season under Jim Boeheim for Syracuse - March 14, 2017
- Orange Watch: Will tournament in Brooklyn resonate with Syracuse, ACC? - March 8, 2017
- Orange Watch: The case for Syracuse guard John Gillon being All-ACC - March 7, 2017
- Orange Watch: 2017 Syracuse football to play in traditional southern locales - February 28, 2017
- Orange Watch: Syracuse basketball facing a potential historic losing streak - February 21, 2017
- Orange Watch: Minimum of five games left to decide Syracuse basketball’s postseason - February 16, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 75, Pittsburgh 80 - February 11, 2017