Item: The ACC buys a year of time, and maybe more, by holding the 2016 ACC Tournament in Washington, D.C.
When Syracuse fans talk about the ideal scenario for a conference basketball tournament, the minimum requirements are that it be held in a major U.S. city, one that’s relatively easily accessible for students and alumni by plane, train or automobile and falls in the program’s recruiting footprint, is held in a modern arena with luxury seating options and with plenty of establishments near-by for pre and post-game libations, and a myriad of touristy things to do in and around the basketball schedule.
It isn’t New York, but Washington may just be the next best choice fitting the aforementioned criteria in a geographically southern-tilted league to keep a little of the northern, big city flavor when it hosts the 2016 event, the first opening following the next two years in Greensboro.
Think about it Orange Nation; D.C. is a happening place that’s (a little) cheaper than New York and easy to get to from virtually anywhere in the northeast corridor, the Verizon Center has enough amenities, there’s a lot to do with one’s free time, and the ACC gets to stick it to departing Maryland by hosting its premier event in the shadow of the Terrapins campus.
Sure, there’s only one Madison Square Garden and nothing duplicates the electricity of Manhattan, but the Chinatown District and surrounding neighborhoods of the nation’s capital would be a lot better atmosphere over a five day event than downtown Greensboro or Charlotte.
- Orange Watch: Dick MacPherson memorial service an elegant tribute to legendary persona - August 15, 2017
- Orange Watch: An honor to know, work with former Syracuse coach Dick MacPherson - August 9, 2017
- Orange Watch: It’s been 30 seasons since Syracuse’s 1987 undefeated Sugar Bowl journey - August 1, 2017
- Orange Watch: If Syracuse football can get to a bowl game, there are plenty of destinations - July 26, 2017
- Orange Watch: Only victories will earn respect for Syracuse football - July 19, 2017
- Orange Watch: Questions abound for Syracuse heading into ACC Football Kickoff event - July 12, 2017
- Orange Watch: Syracuse finishes ironic 44th in Learfield Director’s Cup standings - July 5, 2017
- Orange Watch: Syracuse basketball non-conference schedule close to finished - June 27, 2017
- Orange Watch: Syracuse basketball has rich history of first round NBA Draft selections - June 20, 2017
- Orange Watch: Another first in legendary career of Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim - June 13, 2017