Syracuse will try to recover from an embarrassing loss to Georgia Tech when it returns home to face Wake Forest:
BOWL BERTH IMPLICATIONS: Syracuse and Wake Forest are each on the border of qualifying for a bowl game. Currently, Syracuse is 3-4, and outside of the game against the Deacons, they play Florida State, Boston College, Maryland and Pitt. If you’re like most, and marking down FSU as a loss, that would mean the Orange would have a very narrow path to six wins with a loss to Wake Forest. Similarly, the Deacons stand at 4-4, and will need to get two more wins against Syracuse, Florida State, Duke and Vanderbilt. With a loss to Syracuse, and an assumed loss to FSU, Wake Forest would have to defeat already bowl eligible Duke and a Vanderbilt team that recently toppled Georgia. It’s not a stretch to say that this is a pivotal game for both of these teams.
SCOUTING THE DEMON DEACONS: Syracuse coach Scott Shafer compared Wake Forest wide receiver Michael Campanaro to Wes Welker earlier in the week. Welker, who stars for the Denver Broncos, is the ultimate possession receiver with the ability to slip through a variety of coverages. It’s something that Campanaro has done this season with Wake, racking up 792 yards and six touchdowns through just eight games of the season. He’s already matched a career high in touchdowns receptions, and has had three 100+ yard receiving games this season, including 177 yards against Louisiana-Monroe in September. Senior quarterback Tanner Price is putting together another solid season throwing Campanaro the ball, having thrown for 1778 yards and 12 touchdowns to 4 interceptions.
HISTORICALLY SPEAKING: Syracuse is 1-1 all time against the Deacons. The last time these two teams played was in the 2011 season, with the Orange pulling out a thrilling 36-29 win. Van Chew’s sprawling 4-yard TD score in overtime capped a miraculous comeback, as the Orange trialed 29-14 in the fourth quarter. Antwon Bailey led the way with 114 yards and a pair of touchdowns.
GAME INFORMATION: Saturday, Nov. 2 at 12:30 at the Carrier Dome. TV: ESPN3/ACC Regional Sports Network.
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 47, Rhode Island 0 - September 4, 2015
- Recruiting Roundup: Taurean Thompson visits Rutgers, plans Syracuse trip - September 3, 2015
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse football active as open contact period starts - September 2, 2015
- Recruiting Roundup: Who will Syracuse pursue now that Robert Washington is out? - September 1, 2015
- Weekend Recruiting Roundup: Impact of Robert Washington decommiting from Syracuse - August 31, 2015
- Rercruiting Roundup: Syracuse target Cycoby Burch will take officials before commiting - August 28, 2015
- Adelson: Syracuse football faces tough road to bowl game in 2015 - August 28, 2015
- Antwan Cordy — Meet the 2015 Syracuse Football team - August 27, 2015
- Rercruiting Roundup: Is the door open for Moustapha Diagne at Syracuse? - August 26, 2015
- Recruiting Roundup: Cycoby Burch to choose between Syracuse, three others - August 25, 2015