John Garcia Jr. from Scout.com calls in to do a big football recruiting roundup with host Wes Cheng on The Juice on the Cuse podcast hosted by SNY.tv. The Juice Online Editor in Chief Brad Bierman also calls in to chat about Syracuse’s disastrous loss to Georgia Tech.
[soundcloud url=”https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/116869834″ width=”100%” height=”166″ iframe=”true” /]
Here are some highlights from the podcast:
The Juice Online: The big recruiting news this week is Jason Cabinda flipping from Syracuse to Penn State. How big of a loss is that for the Orange?
John Garcia Jr.: It is a big loss. Granted, they have a couple of linebackers already committed and they’re looking at other linebackers going forward, so it appears it’s going to be a big class, a big haul at the position no matter what. But Cabinda was kind of the jewel in the class. He was the most versatile guy, and the most college ready guy, and that’s always important when you’re talking about a team in a new conference and a new direction. So a huge loss, but a good thing in this for the Orange is that they kind of saw it coming. When Penn State offers any linebacker, that kind of speaks for itself with the whole Linebacker U mantra. Once the interest really ramped up for Cabinda, and right then Penn State got the news that they wouldn’t lose that many scholarships in this cycle, it all started just riding itself.
TJO: Speaking of recruiting battles against Penn State, does Syracuse have any shot at landing Thomas Holley?
JG: They do. And it really has come to our attention at CuseNation.com recently, he’s actually very, very good friends with Terrel Hunt, which obviously is very good for Syracuse. They grew up near each other, they went to the same high school for a little bit before Holley transferred to Abraham Lincoln where he stars now. That’s a significant in that Syracuse has, on top of the New York City recruiting push they’ve been trying to get over the last few years, and of course the in-state push that they’re always trying to get. Obviously playing time is a major selling point for a guy like Holley, but it’s really that connection that breathes life as a Syracuse fan when you’re going against Penn State, Ohio State, potentially some SEC and ACC schools like Florida, Florida State and potentially Alabama down the road. That’s really the only way that Syracuse can hang on, and believe me, they’re going to play to that.
To subscribe, click the link above and then click VIEW IN iTunes, You will then see a button asking you to subscribe to the podcast.
2. John Garcia Jr. from Scout.com calls in
3. Jason Cabinda flip
4. Thomas Holley chances?
5. More on Florida CB Derrick Tindal
6. Scouting report on 2015 forward commit Tyler Lydon
7. Brad Bierman calls in
8. Syracuse’s loss to Georgia Tech
9. Looking forward to the rest of the football season
10. Closing Thoughts and Wrap Up
- Notre Dame Fighting Irish — 2016 Syracuse football scouting report - September 30, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse begins recruitment of Billy Preston - September 30, 2016
- Syracuse 31, Connecticut 24 — What we learned - September 26, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: 2017 defensive end Jonathan Kingsley commits to Syracuse - September 26, 2016
- Connecticut Huskies — 2016 Syracuse football scouting report - September 23, 2016
- Even Syracuse football’s best coaches needed time - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse makes Mohamed Bamba’s final seven - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse coach Gerry McNamara visits Hamidou Diallo - September 20, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse offers 2018 QB Devin Leary - September 19, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 20, South Florida 45 - September 17, 2016