Item: In a final review, the ACC did Syracuse basketball no great favors in its first-year schedule.
Now maybe we know why last spring the ACC was so generous in gifting Syracuse conference (and ACC-Big Ten Challenge) home games with several big name, national championship programs in its first campaign, the flip side when the complete schedule was released Aug. 22 showed just one home game in the final two weeks of the season, a stretch that includes three straight road games.
It was great to hear in April-May that Duke, North Carolina, N.C. State, and Indiana would be Dome visitors this season, but finishing up at Duke (and a first visit to crazy Cameron Indoor Stadium) in the completion of the home-and-home pairing on a Sat. night, Feb. 22, playing two days later on Big Monday at Maryland and then five days later at Virginia, is as unbalanced as the three straight home games the Orange have in hosting Duke Feb. 1, Notre Dame two nights later on Big Monday, then Clemson the following Sunday Feb. 9.
After the ‘Cuse three game road stretch, the final home game is a Tuesday(?) night against Georgia Tech, then the regular season finale on the last Sunday of the season at Florida State, making four out of the final five games on the road, and finishing three days before the start of the ACC Tournament.
And, as in the Big East days, if SU finishes in the top four, it is off until Friday’s quarterfinals in Greensboro, five days between games against an opponent who’s had a victory (or two) under its belt.
Sure, ESPN dictates the dates and times of all conference games as the primary rights holder, but four out of five on the road at the end of what will no doubt be a competitive ACC is a little tilted.
- What Are Syracuse’s Chances Of Making a Bowl Game? - October 18, 2017
- Orange Watch: Syracuse football has chance for encore against Top 10 team - October 17, 2017
- Orange Watch: Beating Clemson would accelerate timetable for rebirth of Syracuse football - October 10, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 27, Pittsburgh 24 - October 7, 2017
- Orange Watch: Already crunch time in ACC for Syracuse football - October 3, 2017
- Orange Watch: The quickest 7-0 score we’ve ever seen in a Syracuse football game - September 27, 2017
- Orange Watch: First Syracuse-LSU meeting in Louisiana was a historic Sugar Bowl tale - September 19, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 41, Central Michigan 17 - September 16, 2017
- Orange Watch: Former Syracuse coach Scott Shafer classless in victory - September 13, 2017
- Orange Watch: Syracuse v. Middle Tennessee highlights NCAA clock problem - September 12, 2017