Syracuse.com football beat writer Michael Cohen joins us to talk about the upcoming football season and the latest on the quarterback competition. Wes Cheng then welcomes Brad Bierman to talk more football and the basketball team’s trip to Canada on The Juice on the Cuse podcast on SNY.
[soundcloud url=”http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/105580941″ params=”” width=” 100%” height=”166″ iframe=”true” /]
Here are the highlights from the interview:
The Juice Online: What’s the latest on the quarterback situation between Drew Allen and Terrel Hunt?
Michael Cohen: Right now, you hate to say ‘neck-and-neck’ because it is so cliche, but I really think it is neck-and-neck. Terrel Hunt had a bit leeway because he performed so well in the spring and Drew Allen was new, but Tim Lester, quarterbacks coach, said that Allen closed that gap really quickly. And now it’s just two guys fighting it out. The one big difference I’ve seen in the limited amount of practice that we’re allowed to watch is that Terrel Hunt seems to prefer the 10 to 15 yard throws, very short, a lot of dump offs. Allen isn’t afraid to take a shot down the field.
TJO: A lot of preseason polls have Syracuse at the bottom of the ACC. Do you see a way they can climb more toward the middle?
MC: I think that Syracuse has a good chance to go 6-6 this year. If they can go 6-6 and reach a bowl game, I think that’s a great season under Scott Shafer, the first year in the ACC. I think the biggest way they can get above that and maybe make a push for 7 or 8 wins is to have one of the two quarterbacks emerge.
To subscribe, click the link above and then click VIEW IN iTunes, You will then see a button asking you to subscribe to the podcast.
2. Michael Cohen, football beat writer for Syracuse.com, calls in
3. The QB battle
4. Other position battles
5. ACC predictions
6. Covering recruiting
7. The Juice Online Editor in Chief Brad Bierman calls in
8. The beginning of the Scott Shafer era and ACC Kickoff
9. Cuse / Clemson, the 1st ACC conference home game at the Carrier Dome
10. Hoops in Canada
11. Tyler Ennis and other players to watch for
12. Closing Thoughts and Wrap Up
- Recruiting Roundup: Eric Coley, Allen Stritzinger, Cameron Jordan, Dakota Davis to Syracuse - June 27, 2016
- Michael Gbinije credits Syracuse coaching staff for transition to NBA - June 24, 2016
- Syracuse G Malachi Richardson: Being drafted was like ‘animal’ lifted off back - June 24, 2016
- Former Syracuse forward Michael Gbinije drafted by Detroit Pistons - June 23, 2016
- Former Syracuse forward Malachi Richardson drafted by Sacramento Kings - June 23, 2016
- Zack Mahoney — Meet the 2016 Syracuse Football team - June 23, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: 2017 Florida WR Joshua Palmer commits to Syracuse - June 23, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse lands commitment from 2017 WR Nykein Johnson - June 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse offers 2017 WR Nykeim Johnson - June 21, 2016
- Connecticut Huskies — 2016 Syracuse Football preview - June 20, 2016