Tom Sunnergren, editor of ESPN TrueHoop’s Hoop76, calls in to talk about Michael Carter-Williams being drafted by the 76ers with hosts Robbie Gillies and Wes Cheng on The Juice on the Cuse podcast on SNY.tv. The hosts also talk about Syracuse’s first day in the ACC and wrap up the rest of the NBA draft.
Here are some highlights from the interview:
TJO: Tom, how did the 76ers fan base react to the Michael Carter-Williams pick?
Tom Sunnergren: It was almost an afterthought. Everyone was reeling from the Jrue Holiday trade and acquiring Nerlens Noel and we hadn’t sat down as a fan base and worked through how we really feel about Michael Carter-Williams.
TJO: Do you see Carter-Williams playing major minutes this season?
TS: It really looks like at this point we’re going to be handing the keys to the car over to him. It seems like there’s an off chance that Evan Turner, if he’s with the team when the season begins, would shoulder some of that load. In the past, he’s played a little point guard for us. I would venture that it would be Michael Carter-Williams.
TJO: How will Carter-Williams do in his rookie season?
TS: My sense is early on, he’s really going to struggle. He doesn’t have a jump shot, and that’s going to be a liability at point guard, and it’s a little less documented, but he has turnover problems. It’s really a long term project with Michael carter-Williams and that’s probably a good thing for a team that has no real interest in winning basketball games next season. That’ll help lay the foundation for 2-3 years down the road.
To subscribe, click the link above and then click VIEW IN iTunes, You will then see a button asking you to subscribe to the podcast.
2. Tom Sunnergren, editor of the ESPN TrueHoop’s Hoop76 calls in
3. Thoughts on MCW pick
4. What kind of impact MCW will have
5. Who will the 76ers hire as head coach?
6. Triche/Southerland not drafted
7. Syracuse moves on to the ACC
8. Final goodbye to the Big East
9. Closing Thoughts and Wrap Up
- Waters: 2017-18 Syracuse basketball has path to NCAA Tournament bid - October 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 27, Clemson 24 - October 13, 2017
- Experience with Syracuse basketball’s zone can be indicator of defensive efficiency - October 11, 2017
- 2017-18 Syracuse basketball: Best and worst case scenarios - October 5, 2017
- Does experience necessarily translate into wins for Syracuse basketball? - October 4, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 25, NC State 33 - September 30, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 26, LSU 35 - September 23, 2017
- Does Syracuse football have a puncher’s chance against LSU? - September 22, 2017
- What will Syracuse basketball’s starting lineup look like in 2017-18? - September 21, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 23, Middle Tennessee 30 - September 9, 2017