Adam Zagoria covers the New York Knicks, Big East hoops and U.S. Open tennis for NBA.com and SNY.tv. He also appears as a Big East Basketball Insider on SNY and 1050 ESPN Radio.
With the 2013 NBA draft coming up next month, we spoke with Zagoria for a look at Syracuse forward James Southerland’s prospects in the NBA.
Adam Zagoria’s take: I talked to Ron Naclerio who was James Southerland’s high school coach (Cardozo High School) and he said he’s been hearing from some NBA personnel about James, comparing him to guy like Steve Novak, guys who come off the bench and shoot 3s. I think there’s a place on someone’s bench for James Southerland, a long athletic guy that can shoot the 3. I’m not sure if he’ll get drafted, but he can sign on with a summer league team and work his way on to an NBA roster.
The Juice Online’s Scouting Report:
- Strengths: Unbelievable range on his jumper… Excellent size at 6’8″ and high release point for a 3-point specialist… A great athlete who has produced some highlight reel dunks in exhibitions… Solid rebounder.
- Weaknesses: Struggles to find ways to contribute when his shot isn’t falling… Doesn’t have much of an offensive game other than long-range shooting… Non-existent dribble drive… Was lost at times in the 2-3 zone.
- Birthdate: April 28, 1990
- Hometown: Bayside, New York
- Position: Forward
- School: Syracuse ’13
- Height, 6’8″
- Weight, 215 lbs
- NBADraft.net: 2nd round, 42nd pick (Philadelphia 76ers)
- Draftexpress.com: Not projected
- The Hoops Report: 2nd round, 46th pick (Portland Trail Blazers)
Career Highlights at Syracuse: Played in 29.5 minutes in his senior season, and averaged 13.3 points and 5.2 rebounds. He tied a single-game school record with nine 3-pointers for 35 points against Arkansas. He also set a Big East tournament record with 17 3-pointers, including a perfect 6-for-6 start against Pittsburgh, and was named to the Big East All-Tournament Team.
- Waters: 2017-18 Syracuse basketball has path to NCAA Tournament bid - October 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 27, Clemson 24 - October 13, 2017
- Experience with Syracuse basketball’s zone can be indicator of defensive efficiency - October 11, 2017
- 2017-18 Syracuse basketball: Best and worst case scenarios - October 5, 2017
- Does experience necessarily translate into wins for Syracuse basketball? - October 4, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 25, NC State 33 - September 30, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 26, LSU 35 - September 23, 2017
- Does Syracuse football have a puncher’s chance against LSU? - September 22, 2017
- What will Syracuse basketball’s starting lineup look like in 2017-18? - September 21, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 23, Middle Tennessee 30 - September 9, 2017