VILLANOVA, PA — A quick take on fourth-seeded Syracuse’s stinging 11-10 defeat to unbeaten Maryland in the national semifinals of the NCAA tournament, on an unseasonably chilly Memorial Day weekend evening at Villanova Stadium in front of a crowd of 6,278:
WHAT HAPPENED: With the temperature in the high forties at game time, the number-one ranked Terrapins (23-0) raced out to a 7-4 halftime lead before the Orange chipped away. Midfielder Katie Webster’s goal with 18:31 to play gave the Orange (18-4) their first lead at 10-9, and it was back-and forth the rest of the way until the Terps Brooke Griffin scored with 2:51 left to provide the winning margin.
WHAT IT MEANS: Close, but no cigar, at another shot for a national title for Gary Gait in his seventh season of leading the program. after falling to Northwestern in last year’s championship game, and coming two wins shy this season.
STAR GAZING: ‘Cuse freshman attack Kayla Treanor ended her spectacular rookie season in orange and blue scoring four times and assisting on two other goals. Treanor is dangerous close to the net; all four of her tallies came on beautiful one-on-one moves to the cage. Sophomore goalie Kelsey Richardson had nine saves in defeat.
WHAT’S NEXT: After a post-game autograph session in which both teams sign for hundreds of fans, it’s a summer of workouts and camps before fall practice in Sept. and the debut season in the ACC in 2014.
- What Are Syracuse’s Chances Of Making a Bowl Game? - October 18, 2017
- Orange Watch: Syracuse football has chance for encore against Top 10 team - October 17, 2017
- Orange Watch: Beating Clemson would accelerate timetable for rebirth of Syracuse football - October 10, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 27, Pittsburgh 24 - October 7, 2017
- Orange Watch: Already crunch time in ACC for Syracuse football - October 3, 2017
- Orange Watch: The quickest 7-0 score we’ve ever seen in a Syracuse football game - September 27, 2017
- Orange Watch: First Syracuse-LSU meeting in Louisiana was a historic Sugar Bowl tale - September 19, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 41, Central Michigan 17 - September 16, 2017
- Orange Watch: Former Syracuse coach Scott Shafer classless in victory - September 13, 2017
- Orange Watch: Syracuse v. Middle Tennessee highlights NCAA clock problem - September 12, 2017