VILLANOVA, PA — A quick take on fourth-seeded Syracuse’s stinging 11-10 defeat to unbeaten Maryland in the national semifinals of the NCAA tournament, on an unseasonably chilly Memorial Day weekend evening at Villanova Stadium in front of a crowd of 6,278:
WHAT HAPPENED: With the temperature in the high forties at game time, the number-one ranked Terrapins (23-0) raced out to a 7-4 halftime lead before the Orange chipped away. Midfielder Katie Webster’s goal with 18:31 to play gave the Orange (18-4) their first lead at 10-9, and it was back-and forth the rest of the way until the Terps Brooke Griffin scored with 2:51 left to provide the winning margin.
WHAT IT MEANS: Close, but no cigar, at another shot for a national title for Gary Gait in his seventh season of leading the program. after falling to Northwestern in last year’s championship game, and coming two wins shy this season.
STAR GAZING: ‘Cuse freshman attack Kayla Treanor ended her spectacular rookie season in orange and blue scoring four times and assisting on two other goals. Treanor is dangerous close to the net; all four of her tallies came on beautiful one-on-one moves to the cage. Sophomore goalie Kelsey Richardson had nine saves in defeat.
WHAT’S NEXT: After a post-game autograph session in which both teams sign for hundreds of fans, it’s a summer of workouts and camps before fall practice in Sept. and the debut season in the ACC in 2014.
- Orange Watch: A pleasure to finally meet Syracuse coach Dino Babers - September 27, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 31, Connecticut 24 - September 24, 2016
- Orange Watch: Tough to be patient with Syracuse in world of Power Five - September 20, 2016
- Orange Watch: The top quarterbacks to play against Syracuse in Carrier Dome history - September 13, 2016
- Orange Watch: If “Orange is the new fast” for Syracuse football, keep it coming - September 6, 2016
- Orange Watch: Part II, 2016 Syracuse football game-by-game previews and predictions - August 26, 2016
- Orange Watch: Part I, 2016 Syracuse football game-by-game previews and predictions - August 23, 2016
- Orange Watch: Will new Hall of Famer Marvin Harrison return to Syracuse this season? - August 9, 2016
- Orange Watch: NCAA graduate transfer rule could alter 2016-17 Syracuse basketball - July 26, 2016
- Orange Watch: Syracuse football will benefit from new AD, football coach, Carrier Dome - July 12, 2016