Item: It’s dwindling down to Syracuse’s last days of competition as a Big East member.
Let the record show that the SU women’s NCAA lacrosse quarterfinal round victory over Florida this past Sat. in the Dome was the final Orange victory as a Big East conference representative in the building’s 33-year history, the season after Syracuse played its first Big East basketball game in Jan. 1980.
(And adding to the school’s record NACDA Director’s Cup season for accomplishments by all of the athletic department’s programs, Syracuse is the only school to have both its men’s and women’s teams playing in the lacrosse semi-finals!)
While the school has participated in ACC social events and the official spring meetings, SU is playing it by the book with no public display of being in the conference until after the official July 1, 2013 entry date, and behind the scenes plenty is going on for the conversion, including the eventual ubiquitous placement of the ACC conference logo on the Dome’s football field/basketball court replacing that of the Big East.
But first the league’s all-time anchor school can leave with a flair, hoping to say “goodbye” with a couple of lacrosse national titles this weekend.
- Orange Watch: A pleasure to finally meet Syracuse coach Dino Babers - September 27, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 31, Connecticut 24 - September 24, 2016
- Orange Watch: Tough to be patient with Syracuse in world of Power Five - September 20, 2016
- Orange Watch: The top quarterbacks to play against Syracuse in Carrier Dome history - September 13, 2016
- Orange Watch: If “Orange is the new fast” for Syracuse football, keep it coming - September 6, 2016
- Orange Watch: Part II, 2016 Syracuse football game-by-game previews and predictions - August 26, 2016
- Orange Watch: Part I, 2016 Syracuse football game-by-game previews and predictions - August 23, 2016
- Orange Watch: Will new Hall of Famer Marvin Harrison return to Syracuse this season? - August 9, 2016
- Orange Watch: NCAA graduate transfer rule could alter 2016-17 Syracuse basketball - July 26, 2016
- Orange Watch: Syracuse football will benefit from new AD, football coach, Carrier Dome - July 12, 2016