Syracuse will try to advance to the NCAA semifinals when they take on Ivy League champion Yale in College Park, Md.
IN SYRACUSE’S LAST GAME: The Orange knocked off NEC Champion Bryant, 12-7, at the Carrier Dome. Syracuse had to rally from an early 4-0 deficit as Bryant dominated the Orange at the faceoff X. But after SU head coach John Desko called timeout to settle his team down, Syracuse started playing like the No. 1 team in the tournament. Dylan Donahue’s goal with four seconds left in the first half made it 5-5, and the Orange went ahead for good in the 3rd quarter behind Donahue, Luke Cometti and Kevin Rice each scoring his second goal of the game in the period.
IN YALE’S LAST GAME: Yale upset No. 8 Penn State, 10-7, to advance to the NCAA quarterfinals. Yale also had to overcome an early deficit, as the Bulldogs trailed Penn State 5-1 going into halftime. But Yale would outscore Penn State 9-2 the rest of the way, as Colin Flaherty led the Bulldogs with three second-half goals. It was the first time Yale advanced to the NCAA quarterfinals in 21 years.
SCOUTING THE BULLDOGS: Yale has one of the best defenses in the country, as the Bulldogs finished 7th in scoring defense, allowing just 8 games per game. They are led by goalie Eric Natale, who has a 7.93 goals against average, and a .533 save percentage. Brandon Mangan leds the offense with 25 assists and 61 points.
HISTORICALLY SPEAKING: The last time these two teams played was in the 2000 season, with the Orange winning, 16-8. Syracuse leads the all-time series 18-4, and has won the last nine games. The last time Yale defeated SU was in the 1963 season.
GAME INFORMATION: Saturday, May 18 at 3 p.m. in College Mark, Md. TV: ESPN2. SNY’s Eamon McAnaney will be on play-by-play, Quint Kessenich will be the analyst and Paul Carcaterra will report from the sideline.
- Waters: 2017-18 Syracuse basketball has path to NCAA Tournament bid - October 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 27, Clemson 24 - October 13, 2017
- Experience with Syracuse basketball’s zone can be indicator of defensive efficiency - October 11, 2017
- 2017-18 Syracuse basketball: Best and worst case scenarios - October 5, 2017
- Does experience necessarily translate into wins for Syracuse basketball? - October 4, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 25, NC State 33 - September 30, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 26, LSU 35 - September 23, 2017
- Does Syracuse football have a puncher’s chance against LSU? - September 22, 2017
- What will Syracuse basketball’s starting lineup look like in 2017-18? - September 21, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 23, Middle Tennessee 30 - September 9, 2017