Adam Zagoria covers the New York Knicks, Big East hoops and U.S. Open tennis for NBA.com and SNY.tv. He also appears as a Big East Basketball Insider on SNY and 1050 ESPN Radio.
With the 2013 NBA draft coming up next month, we spoke with Zagoria for a look at Syracuse guard Brandon Triche’s prospects in the NBA.
Adam Zagoria’s take: He’s an experienced point guard. He took the team to a Final Four. He isn’t really considered in the upper tier of point guards along with Michael Carter-Williams and Marcus Smart, but I think he can work his way on to an NBA roster. If not, he can play overseas and have a long career there.
The Juice Online’s Scouting Report:
- Strengths: Versatile scorer who can bully his way into the lane or hit from the outside… Solid ball handler who excels in transition and can finish… Excellent strength for a guard… Can play both guard spots in the NBA… Four year starter who brings maturity and a hard work ethic.
- Weaknesses: Outside shooting got worse each year… Went through one of the worst shooting slumps of his career this past season, not hitting a 3 for nearly a month… Has the tendency to disappear from games for large stretches… Not assertive enough on offense… An average athlete for the NBA level… Often too mellow on the court.
- Birthdate: February 1, 1991
- Hometown: Jamesville, New York
- Position: Guard
- School: Syracuse ’15
- Height, 6’4″
- Weight, 210 lbs
- NBADraft.net: Not projected
- Draftexpress.com: Not projected
- The Hoops Report: 2nd round, 55th pick (Memphis Grizzlies)
Career Highlights at Syracuse: Triche was a four year starter at Syracuse, and averaged 13.9 ppg his senior season. He was named an All-Big East Honorable Mention. In Syracuse’s run to the Final Four, he scored a team-high 20 points in the second round of the NCAA tournament against Montana, while adding a career-high four steals.
- Waters: 2017-18 Syracuse basketball has path to NCAA Tournament bid - October 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 27, Clemson 24 - October 13, 2017
- Experience with Syracuse basketball’s zone can be indicator of defensive efficiency - October 11, 2017
- 2017-18 Syracuse basketball: Best and worst case scenarios - October 5, 2017
- Does experience necessarily translate into wins for Syracuse basketball? - October 4, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 25, NC State 33 - September 30, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 26, LSU 35 - September 23, 2017
- Does Syracuse football have a puncher’s chance against LSU? - September 22, 2017
- What will Syracuse basketball’s starting lineup look like in 2017-18? - September 21, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 23, Middle Tennessee 30 - September 9, 2017