Item: The men’s and women’s lacrosse Final Fours are both in the Philly metro area, what a Memorial Day weekend for Orange lax fans if both teams, off winning Big East championships, can advance that far.
First things first, of course, each team needs a couple of victories before moving on to the sport’s biggest stage when the men move into NFL stadiums (68,532 seat Lincoln Financial Field) , and the women into college football stadiums (12,500 seat Villanova Stadium) for the Final Four events, and with parity in college lacrosse the rule for men, and with undefeated Maryland being chased by the other four top-ranked women’s teams (Syracuse is fifth ranked), getting there will be an accomplishment.
The men’s team is simply playing its best lacrosse at the right time. Suburb defense, a goalie seeing the ball, and offensive production from so many sources that there always seems to be someone to pick up the slack, resulting in the end sprint of the season-long marathon pulling out the top seed of the 16 team field and hosting NEC surprise champion Bryant (8-10) in the NCAA first round on Sun. May 12 at 7:30 p.m. ET (ESPNU).
That thought of being the No. 1 seed would not have been likely just 19 days ago when the ‘Cuse got edged by upstate rival Hobart for the Kraus-Simmons Trophy. But by playing its annual competitive schedule which resulted in more top five and top 20 victories than any other post-season team, combined with winning its conference championship, the Orange is for now the team on top of a very close bunch.
- Orange Watch: A pleasure to finally meet Syracuse coach Dino Babers - September 27, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 31, Connecticut 24 - September 24, 2016
- Orange Watch: Tough to be patient with Syracuse in world of Power Five - September 20, 2016
- Orange Watch: The top quarterbacks to play against Syracuse in Carrier Dome history - September 13, 2016
- Orange Watch: If “Orange is the new fast” for Syracuse football, keep it coming - September 6, 2016
- Orange Watch: Part II, 2016 Syracuse football game-by-game previews and predictions - August 26, 2016
- Orange Watch: Part I, 2016 Syracuse football game-by-game previews and predictions - August 23, 2016
- Orange Watch: Will new Hall of Famer Marvin Harrison return to Syracuse this season? - August 9, 2016
- Orange Watch: NCAA graduate transfer rule could alter 2016-17 Syracuse basketball - July 26, 2016
- Orange Watch: Syracuse football will benefit from new AD, football coach, Carrier Dome - July 12, 2016