Item: The men’s and women’s lacrosse Final Fours are both in the Philly metro area, what a Memorial Day weekend for Orange lax fans if both teams, off winning Big East championships, can advance that far.
First things first, of course, each team needs a couple of victories before moving on to the sport’s biggest stage when the men move into NFL stadiums (68,532 seat Lincoln Financial Field) , and the women into college football stadiums (12,500 seat Villanova Stadium) for the Final Four events, and with parity in college lacrosse the rule for men, and with undefeated Maryland being chased by the other four top-ranked women’s teams (Syracuse is fifth ranked), getting there will be an accomplishment.
The men’s team is simply playing its best lacrosse at the right time. Suburb defense, a goalie seeing the ball, and offensive production from so many sources that there always seems to be someone to pick up the slack, resulting in the end sprint of the season-long marathon pulling out the top seed of the 16 team field and hosting NEC surprise champion Bryant (8-10) in the NCAA first round on Sun. May 12 at 7:30 p.m. ET (ESPNU).
That thought of being the No. 1 seed would not have been likely just 19 days ago when the ‘Cuse got edged by upstate rival Hobart for the Kraus-Simmons Trophy. But by playing its annual competitive schedule which resulted in more top five and top 20 victories than any other post-season team, combined with winning its conference championship, the Orange is for now the team on top of a very close bunch.
- Orange Watch: Syracuse football has chance for encore against Top 10 team - October 17, 2017
- Orange Watch: Beating Clemson would accelerate timetable for rebirth of Syracuse football - October 10, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 27, Pittsburgh 24 - October 7, 2017
- Orange Watch: Already crunch time in ACC for Syracuse football - October 3, 2017
- Orange Watch: The quickest 7-0 score we’ve ever seen in a Syracuse football game - September 27, 2017
- Orange Watch: First Syracuse-LSU meeting in Louisiana was a historic Sugar Bowl tale - September 19, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 41, Central Michigan 17 - September 16, 2017
- Orange Watch: Former Syracuse coach Scott Shafer classless in victory - September 13, 2017
- Orange Watch: Syracuse v. Middle Tennessee highlights NCAA clock problem - September 12, 2017
- Orange Watch: Syracuse football coaches past and present match wits Saturday - September 5, 2017