Item: The SU basketball scheduling philosophy is starting to take shape for what could be the Jim Boeheim-to-Mike Hopkins transition phase.
Sources confirmed to The Juice Online at the Big East Lacrosse Championship last weekend that Villanova is headed to the Dome this coming season as part of a 1-1-1 series with the game in Syracuse, a return meeting the following season at the Wells Fargo Center, and in the 2015-16 season a game at Madison Square Garden that could be part of a college basketball doubleheader.
With the previously announced home-and-home series against St. John’s, that means that for the 2013-14 ACC debut season, the ‘Cuse will play at Madison Square Garden against SJU, and in the Washington metro area against Maryland.
The following year 2014-15, the Orange is slated to take part in the early-season 2K Sports Classic guaranteeing two games at Madison Square Garden, plus the road game against Villanova hitting Philadelphia.
A game in New York is then part of the 2015-16 season with the completion of the three-game Villanova series, ensuring that the Orange make annual appearances in traditional recruiting territories.
In addition, Syracuse is competing in the Maui Classic this November, and we’ve been told SU is eyeing the Battle 4 Atlantis event held Thanksgiving weekend in the Bahamas also for the ’15-16 season.
Throw in a summer trip abroad every four years, this year it’s Italy, and those are pretty nice sweeteners to the overall recruiting package in which it figures Mike Hopkins will be running the program by the time some of these games come to fruition.
It’s also a competitive schedule for next season. 18 ACC games, plus St. John’s, Villanova, the ACC-Big Ten challenge and the Maui Classic featuring old friends Arkansas, California, Gonzaga and Minnesota (Boeheim-Richard Pitino matchup, anyone?), all past NCAA opponents versus Jim Boeheim, along with Baylor, Dayton, and host Chaminade.
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 19, Miami 27 - October 21, 2017
- What Are Syracuse’s Chances Of Making a Bowl Game? - October 18, 2017
- Orange Watch: Syracuse football has chance for encore against Top 10 team - October 17, 2017
- Orange Watch: Beating Clemson would accelerate timetable for rebirth of Syracuse football - October 10, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 27, Pittsburgh 24 - October 7, 2017
- Orange Watch: Already crunch time in ACC for Syracuse football - October 3, 2017
- Orange Watch: The quickest 7-0 score we’ve ever seen in a Syracuse football game - September 27, 2017
- Orange Watch: First Syracuse-LSU meeting in Louisiana was a historic Sugar Bowl tale - September 19, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 41, Central Michigan 17 - September 16, 2017
- Orange Watch: Former Syracuse coach Scott Shafer classless in victory - September 13, 2017