Item: The SU basketball scheduling philosophy is starting to take shape for what could be the Jim Boeheim-to-Mike Hopkins transition phase.
Sources confirmed to The Juice Online at the Big East Lacrosse Championship last weekend that Villanova is headed to the Dome this coming season as part of a 1-1-1 series with the game in Syracuse, a return meeting the following season at the Wells Fargo Center, and in the 2015-16 season a game at Madison Square Garden that could be part of a college basketball doubleheader.
With the previously announced home-and-home series against St. John’s, that means that for the 2013-14 ACC debut season, the ‘Cuse will play at Madison Square Garden against SJU, and in the Washington metro area against Maryland.
The following year 2014-15, the Orange is slated to take part in the early-season 2K Sports Classic guaranteeing two games at Madison Square Garden, plus the road game against Villanova hitting Philadelphia.
A game in New York is then part of the 2015-16 season with the completion of the three-game Villanova series, ensuring that the Orange make annual appearances in traditional recruiting territories.
In addition, Syracuse is competing in the Maui Classic this November, and we’ve been told SU is eyeing the Battle 4 Atlantis event held Thanksgiving weekend in the Bahamas also for the ’15-16 season.
Throw in a summer trip abroad every four years, this year it’s Italy, and those are pretty nice sweeteners to the overall recruiting package in which it figures Mike Hopkins will be running the program by the time some of these games come to fruition.
It’s also a competitive schedule for next season. 18 ACC games, plus St. John’s, Villanova, the ACC-Big Ten challenge and the Maui Classic featuring old friends Arkansas, California, Gonzaga and Minnesota (Boeheim-Richard Pitino matchup, anyone?), all past NCAA opponents versus Jim Boeheim, along with Baylor, Dayton, and host Chaminade.
- Orange Watch: NCAA graduate transfer rule could alter 2016-17 Syracuse basketball - July 26, 2016
- Orange Watch: Syracuse football will benefit from new AD, football coach, Carrier Dome - July 12, 2016
- Syracuse names alum John Wildhack as new athletic director - July 6, 2016
- Orange Watch: After 28 years, how did that ‘SYRACUSE’ sign disappear from Rupp? - July 1, 2016
- Orange Watch: Nine game ACC football schedule makes sense for Syracuse - June 14, 2016
- Orange Watch: The 2016-17 guide to Syracuse Orange athletics postseason locations - May 31, 2016
- Orange Watch: Carrier Dome renovation will bring Syracuse pro sports atmosphere on college campus - May 24, 2016
- NCAA Lacrosse Instant Juice: Syracuse 7, Maryland 13 - May 21, 2016
- Orange Watch: In wide open NCAA tournament, Syracuse looks to knock off No. 1 Maryland - May 17, 2016
- Orange Watch: Under current rules, Syracuse players will continue to leave early for NBA - May 11, 2016