ALEXANDRIA, VA. — Incoming Syracuse wing BJ Johnson played in the 40th Capital Classic at T.C. Williams High School. He scored 16 points and added four rebounds and two steals as his U.S. All Stars team defeated the Suburban All Stars, 126-120. Afterward, we caught up with Johnson, and then his father, Bob, to talk about their expectations for the 2013-14 SU basketball season.
The Juice Online: When did you decide that Syracuse was the right school for you?
BJ Johnson: From seventh grade, Syracuse was really the school I wanted to go to. When they offered, it was pretty much done.
TJO: What are you going to bring to the team next year?
BJ: A winning attitude. I can shoot for being 6’8″, I can really stretch out the defense and make opportunities for others.
TJO: Did you like SU getting to the Final Four?
BJ: I liked it a lot until we lost. We’ll get back.
TJO: What do you have to tell Orange Nation?
BJ: Get ready for a National Championship.
TJO: BJ had offers from several different schools. Why did he pick the Orange?
Bob Johnson: He always wanted to go to Syracuse. Once they jumped on board last summer, it was pretty much a done deal. It was literally his dream school.
TJO: What is the biggest thing he’s looking forward to?
Bob: He’s excited overall for the experience. Just getting out there and getting acclimated to the process. He’s ready to go.
TJO: Were you following SU this season as they went to the Final Four?
Bob: It was very exciting watching Syracuse make that run after such and up-and-down year. Very exciting for them and at the same time, BJ was making a run in States. We pretty much watched every game we could.
TJO: What should Syracuse fans expect from your son?
Bob: He’s going to give it his all. He’s going to give 100 percent. He’s going to be a great student as well as a great basketball player. I’m looking forward to his four years and playing at Syracuse.
TJO: What will it be like to be at the Carrier Dome with 35,000 fans?
Bob: It’s a big thrill to go into the Dome and see all of those fans. It’s big-time basketball, and just like anything else, take it as it comes and hopefully you go out there and perform well.
- Syracuse 93, Binghamton 65 — What we learned - December 8, 2013
- Syracuse 56, St. Francis (NY) 50 — What we learned - November 19, 2013
- Syracuse F Jerami Grant: We’re going to ‘try to top what we did last year’ - June 21, 2013
- BJ Johnson to Syracuse fans: ‘Get ready for a National Championship’ - April 29, 2013
- Tipoff Countdown: Making a case for the Louisville Cardinals - April 4, 2013
- A Syracuse basketball fan’s guide to Washington, DC - March 27, 2013
- Tipoff Countdown: How far will Syracuse go in the NCAA tournament? - March 19, 2013
- Syracuse v. Georgetown — The photos - March 10, 2013