Former Syracuse quarterback Ryan Nassib was selected with the 110th pick of the NFL Draft by the New York Giants. The Giants traded their No. 116 and 187 picks to the Cardinals to move up to draft Nassib.
Nassib was projected as a possible top 10 pick, with many figuring he would go to the Buffalo Bills to play for former SU head coach Doug Marrone. Instead, the Bills selected Florida State quarterback EJ Manuel with the 16th pick in the NFL draft after trading the No. 8 overall pick to Saint Louis.
It was the start of a free fall for Nassib, who had to wait until the fourth round.
Nassib will come in as the clear backup quarterback to Eli Manning, a three-time Pro Bowler and two-time Super Bowl MVP. Manning has been the starter since Week 9 of the 2004 season, but the Giants current backup, David Carr, is only under contract for this season.
“Not sure why the Giants made this move, especially trading up to do so,” said John Fennelly from SNYGiants.com. “Why were they looking at either of them when they still need corner and LB depth?”
The Giants finished 9-7 last season, but missed the playoffs. They finished 12th in the NFL with 239.1 passing yards a game.
At Syracuse, Nassib was an All-Big East Second Team selection, and a 2012 Pro Football Weekly All-American. He was 17th nationally, and lead the Big East with, 288.4 yards per game.
He holds several school records in career passing yards (3,749 in 2012; 9,190 career) and career completions (294; 791), and also holds single-season records for touchdown passes (26) and total offense (3,891 yards). He was a three year starter at Syracuse, and SU’s first quarterback selected in the NFL draft since Donovan McNabb.
Nassib led SU to an 8-5 (5-2 Big East) record overall and a 38-14 win over West Virginia in the 2012 New Era Pinstripe Bowl.
Nassib was the second player drafted by the Giants after New York took Justin Pugh with the 19th pick in the first round. Head coach Tom Coughlin is also a Syracuse alum.
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse begins recruitment of Billy Preston - September 30, 2016
- Syracuse 31, Connecticut 24 — What we learned - September 26, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: 2017 defensive end Jonathan Kingsley commits to Syracuse - September 26, 2016
- Connecticut Huskies — 2016 Syracuse football scouting report - September 23, 2016
- Even Syracuse football’s best coaches needed time - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse makes Mohamed Bamba’s final seven - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse coach Gerry McNamara visits Hamidou Diallo - September 20, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse offers 2018 QB Devin Leary - September 19, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 20, South Florida 45 - September 17, 2016
- Before Syracuse, Babers’ teams at Eastern Illinois, Bowling Green were routed, too - September 16, 2016