The Buffalo Bills and head coach Doug Marrone bypassed former Syracuse quarterback Ryan Nassib in favor of Florida State quarterback EJ Manuel with the 16th pick in the NFL draft.
Buffalo had the opportunity to draft Nassib with the 8th overall pick, but ended up trading that to the Saint Louis Rams for the 16th pick. The two teams also swapped third round picks and the Bills also received the 46th and 222nd picks in the draft.
Still, even with a second opportunity to draft Nassib at 16, the Bills went in a different direction.
The pick came as a surprise, with Marrone’s obvious ties with Nassib from Syracuse and Manuel being listed as the No. 4 quarterback available. Many expected Buffalo to select Nassib, especially after Marrone hired offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett away from the Orange. Nassib was a three-year starter under Marrone.
Other quarterbacks on the board, USC’s Matt Barkley and West Virginia’s Geno Smith, were also rated higher. None of those players were selected in the first round.
The Bills cut incumbent starting QB Ryan Fitzpatrick last month, although they did sign Kevin Kolb to a multi-year deal earlier in April. Manuel is expected to compete for the starting job in his rookie season.
Manuel threw for 3,397 yards and 23 touchdowns in his senior year at FSU. For his career, he threw 47 touchdowns in 41 games.
At Syracuse, Nassib was an All-Big East Second Team selection, and a 2012 Pro Football Weekly All-American. He was ranked 17th nationally and led the Big East with 288.4 yards per game. Nassib led SU to an 8-5 (5-2 Big East) record overall and a 38-14 win over West Virginia in the 2012 New Era Pinstripe Bowl.
- Syracuse 31, Connecticut 24 — What we learned - September 26, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: 2017 defensive end Jonathan Kingsley commits to Syracuse - September 26, 2016
- Connecticut Huskies — 2016 Syracuse football scouting report - September 23, 2016
- Even Syracuse football’s best coaches needed time - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse makes Mohamed Bamba’s final seven - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse coach Gerry McNamara visits Hamidou Diallo - September 20, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse offers 2018 QB Devin Leary - September 19, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 20, South Florida 45 - September 17, 2016
- Before Syracuse, Babers’ teams at Eastern Illinois, Bowling Green were routed, too - September 16, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse and Kentucky working hardest for Quade Green - September 16, 2016