Item: Heading into the regular season finale, it’s been a topsy-turvy Syracuse lacrosse ride this season.
Would you have believed it before the season if we told you that at 10-3 before facing Big East co-leader (and top-ranked in one poll) Notre Dame Saturday at MetLife Stadium, those loses would be versus Albany, Villanova and Hobart, and not among Virginia, Johns Hopkins, Princeton or Cornell?
We didn’t think so.
Throw in a slew (eight) of one-goal games (5-3 record) and it’s easy to see that the season parallels the national picture in which now six teams have jockeyed for the number one spot in the weekly polls, and forecasting what should be a wide-open NCAA Tournament that for the first time will include a quarterfinal round site outside of the traditional eastern seaboard part of the country with a doubleheader at Lucas Oil Stadium in NCAA hometown Indianapolis.
The Orange can be the top-seed in next week’s Big East Tournament by beating the Irish Sat. and if Villanova loses to Providence, but they can also be the third seed if they lose to N.D. no matter what Villanova does because of the stinging 11-10 regular season loss to the ‘Cats. It’s been exactly that kind of season.
- Orange Watch: NCAA graduate transfer rule could alter 2016-17 Syracuse basketball - July 26, 2016
- Orange Watch: Syracuse football will benefit from new AD, football coach, Carrier Dome - July 12, 2016
- Syracuse names alum John Wildhack as new athletic director - July 6, 2016
- Orange Watch: After 28 years, how did that ‘SYRACUSE’ sign disappear from Rupp? - July 1, 2016
- Orange Watch: Nine game ACC football schedule makes sense for Syracuse - June 14, 2016
- Orange Watch: The 2016-17 guide to Syracuse Orange athletics postseason locations - May 31, 2016
- Orange Watch: Carrier Dome renovation will bring Syracuse pro sports atmosphere on college campus - May 24, 2016
- NCAA Lacrosse Instant Juice: Syracuse 7, Maryland 13 - May 21, 2016
- Orange Watch: In wide open NCAA tournament, Syracuse looks to knock off No. 1 Maryland - May 17, 2016
- Orange Watch: Under current rules, Syracuse players will continue to leave early for NBA - May 11, 2016