Item: Heading into the regular season finale, it’s been a topsy-turvy Syracuse lacrosse ride this season.
Would you have believed it before the season if we told you that at 10-3 before facing Big East co-leader (and top-ranked in one poll) Notre Dame Saturday at MetLife Stadium, those loses would be versus Albany, Villanova and Hobart, and not among Virginia, Johns Hopkins, Princeton or Cornell?
We didn’t think so.
Throw in a slew (eight) of one-goal games (5-3 record) and it’s easy to see that the season parallels the national picture in which now six teams have jockeyed for the number one spot in the weekly polls, and forecasting what should be a wide-open NCAA Tournament that for the first time will include a quarterfinal round site outside of the traditional eastern seaboard part of the country with a doubleheader at Lucas Oil Stadium in NCAA hometown Indianapolis.
The Orange can be the top-seed in next week’s Big East Tournament by beating the Irish Sat. and if Villanova loses to Providence, but they can also be the third seed if they lose to N.D. no matter what Villanova does because of the stinging 11-10 regular season loss to the ‘Cats. It’s been exactly that kind of season.
- Orange Watch: New AD Mark Coyle brings critical fresh perspective to Syracuse - June 30, 2015
- Orange Watch: Syracuse football uniforms had long, colorful history before Nike - June 16, 2015
- Orange Watch: Historical tidbits from the Syracuse-LSU football series - June 2, 2015
- Orange Watch: Significant changes in NCAA lacrosse for next season and beyond - May 26, 2015
- NCAA Women’s Lacrosse Instant Juice: Syracuse 8, Maryland 10 - May 22, 2015
- Orange Watch: Gary Gait, Syracuse women’s lax with another shot to slay giant - May 19, 2015
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 15, Johns Hopkins 16 - May 17, 2015
- Orange Watch: For Syracuse lacrosse, ‘Time to get ready for the Blue Jays’ - May 12, 2015
- Orange Watch: Snapshot of Syracuse football, basketball, lacrosse as summer approaches - May 5, 2015
- Orange Watch: After winning ACC title, Syracuse lacrosse eyes No. 1 NCAA Tournament seed - April 27, 2015