Item: Heading into the regular season finale, it’s been a topsy-turvy Syracuse lacrosse ride this season.
Would you have believed it before the season if we told you that at 10-3 before facing Big East co-leader (and top-ranked in one poll) Notre Dame Saturday at MetLife Stadium, those loses would be versus Albany, Villanova and Hobart, and not among Virginia, Johns Hopkins, Princeton or Cornell?
We didn’t think so.
Throw in a slew (eight) of one-goal games (5-3 record) and it’s easy to see that the season parallels the national picture in which now six teams have jockeyed for the number one spot in the weekly polls, and forecasting what should be a wide-open NCAA Tournament that for the first time will include a quarterfinal round site outside of the traditional eastern seaboard part of the country with a doubleheader at Lucas Oil Stadium in NCAA hometown Indianapolis.
The Orange can be the top-seed in next week’s Big East Tournament by beating the Irish Sat. and if Villanova loses to Providence, but they can also be the third seed if they lose to N.D. no matter what Villanova does because of the stinging 11-10 regular season loss to the ‘Cats. It’s been exactly that kind of season.
- Orange Watch: ACC still in play for rare conference football-basketball national title sweep - March 28, 2017
- Orange Watch: Perhaps now Jim Boeheim can even win 1000 games at Syracuse ‘twice’ - March 22, 2017
- Orange Watch: With Hopkins leaving Syracuse, a look back at March 19, 2015 - March 20, 2017
- NIT Instant Juice: Syracuse 80, Mississippi 85 - March 18, 2017
- Orange Watch: 2017 only the ninth non-NCAA season under Jim Boeheim for Syracuse - March 14, 2017
- Orange Watch: Will tournament in Brooklyn resonate with Syracuse, ACC? - March 8, 2017
- Orange Watch: The case for Syracuse guard John Gillon being All-ACC - March 7, 2017
- Orange Watch: 2017 Syracuse football to play in traditional southern locales - February 28, 2017
- Orange Watch: Syracuse basketball facing a potential historic losing streak - February 21, 2017
- Orange Watch: Minimum of five games left to decide Syracuse basketball’s postseason - February 16, 2017