Item: Heading into the regular season finale, it’s been a topsy-turvy Syracuse lacrosse ride this season.
Would you have believed it before the season if we told you that at 10-3 before facing Big East co-leader (and top-ranked in one poll) Notre Dame Saturday at MetLife Stadium, those loses would be versus Albany, Villanova and Hobart, and not among Virginia, Johns Hopkins, Princeton or Cornell?
We didn’t think so.
Throw in a slew (eight) of one-goal games (5-3 record) and it’s easy to see that the season parallels the national picture in which now six teams have jockeyed for the number one spot in the weekly polls, and forecasting what should be a wide-open NCAA Tournament that for the first time will include a quarterfinal round site outside of the traditional eastern seaboard part of the country with a doubleheader at Lucas Oil Stadium in NCAA hometown Indianapolis.
The Orange can be the top-seed in next week’s Big East Tournament by beating the Irish Sat. and if Villanova loses to Providence, but they can also be the third seed if they lose to N.D. no matter what Villanova does because of the stinging 11-10 regular season loss to the ‘Cats. It’s been exactly that kind of season.
- Orange Watch: Syracuse lacrosse can still go deep in NCAA Tournament - April 13, 2015
- Orange Watch: Hard to get a solid early grasp of 2015 Syracuse football - April 7, 2015
- Orange Watch Exclusive: Syracuse basketball coach Jim Boeheim to retire in September 2016 - April 1, 2015
- Orange Watch: Syracuse’s Carrier Dome is not a dump, it is a building that’s simply outdated - March 30, 2015
- Orange Watch: After NCAA black eye, Syracuse to shine hosting NCAA regional - March 24, 2015
- Monumental Day for Syracuse basketball – Jim Boeheim to retire in three years - March 18, 2015
- Daryl Gross out, Pete Sala in, as new interim Syracuse athletic director - March 18, 2015
- Orange Watch: Near season’s midpoint, Syracuse lacrosse looking like team on mission - March 16, 2015
- Orange Watch: How long until Syracuse athletics wakes up from its NCAA nightmare? - March 10, 2015
- Instant Juice: NCAA suspends Boeheim, vacates 108 wins, docks Syracuse’s scholarships - March 6, 2015