A quick take on Syracuse’s 18-9 win over Providence:
WHAT HAPPENED: The Frairs’ Andrew Barton scored the first goal of the game to give Providence an early lead. From there, the Orange scored six unanswered goals to end the quarter, and took an 11-2 lead at half after the Orange went on a 5-0 run. The teams played even through the second half, as Providence was able to make some headway against the SU reserves. Syracuse improved to 5-0 all time against the Friars, and improved to 5-1 (2-0 Big East) on the season.
WHAT IT MEANS: The biggest story line from the night came from between the pipes. Dominic Lamolinara was named the starting goalie for the first time this season, and delivered with 11 saves in 48 minutes. It was his second straight win, as he came into relieve Bobby Wardwell during SU’s big win over Johns Hopkins over the weekend. Wardwell and Ben Romagnoli also saw minutes in net.
STAR GAZING: While redshirt sophomore Henry Schoonmaker notched his first career hat trick with three goals, the Orange once again proved how balanced of a team they are. Eleven different players scored, as SU shot 48 percent for the game, and was also 3 for 5 in extra man opportunities. For Providence, Barton finished with 2 goals and an assist.
WHAT’S NEXT: Syracuse will travel to Pennsylvania to play Villanova on Saturday, March 23 at 7 p.m.
- Notre Dame Fighting Irish — 2016 Syracuse football scouting report - September 30, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse begins recruitment of Billy Preston - September 30, 2016
- Syracuse 31, Connecticut 24 — What we learned - September 26, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: 2017 defensive end Jonathan Kingsley commits to Syracuse - September 26, 2016
- Connecticut Huskies — 2016 Syracuse football scouting report - September 23, 2016
- Even Syracuse football’s best coaches needed time - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse makes Mohamed Bamba’s final seven - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse coach Gerry McNamara visits Hamidou Diallo - September 20, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse offers 2018 QB Devin Leary - September 19, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 20, South Florida 45 - September 17, 2016