Syracuse was selected as a No. 4 seed in the East region of the NCAA tournament, the committee announced Sunday evening.
The Orange will play 13th-seeded Montana in the second round in San Jose, Calif. Montana went 25-6 on the season, and steamrolled through the Big Sky conference. They went 19-1 in conference play, and won the automatic bid, defeating Weber State.
Game time and television information will be released later Sunday night.
A matchup with either No. 5 UNLV or No. 12 California would await them in the third round.
If they advance out of the first weekend, the regional will be held in Washington, DC. Syracuse lost four out of five games to end the regular season, but won three out of four games to reach the Big East championship final, where they lost to Louisville.
Indiana (East), Gonzaga (West), Kansas (South) and Louisville (Midwest) were named the No. 1 seeds.
The Big East received eight bids to the NCAA tournament, including Marquette (3, East), Georgetown (2, South), Villanova (9, South), Pittsburgh (8, West), Notre Dame (7, West) and Cincinnati (10, Midwest).
Among the notables that were not selected included Maryland, Virginia, Baylor, Tennessee or Alabama. Defending champion Kentucky was also not selected.
- Syracuse 31, Connecticut 24 — What we learned - September 26, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: 2017 defensive end Jonathan Kingsley commits to Syracuse - September 26, 2016
- Connecticut Huskies — 2016 Syracuse football scouting report - September 23, 2016
- Even Syracuse football’s best coaches needed time - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse makes Mohamed Bamba’s final seven - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse coach Gerry McNamara visits Hamidou Diallo - September 20, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse offers 2018 QB Devin Leary - September 19, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 20, South Florida 45 - September 17, 2016
- Before Syracuse, Babers’ teams at Eastern Illinois, Bowling Green were routed, too - September 16, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse and Kentucky working hardest for Quade Green - September 16, 2016