A quick take on Syracuse’s 13-8 win over arch rival Johns Hopkins:
WHAT HAPPENED: The Orange lit up Hopkins in the first quarter, scoring 6 unanswered goals after the Blue Jays broke the ice, including 2 from Henry Schoonmaker. The Jays coughed the ball up 6 times in the quarter and the Orange were able to capitalize without turning it over once. But Hopkins settled down in the second, clawing its way back and cutting the lead to 8-6 going into half.
But after junior Dominic Lamolinara replaced starting goalie Bobby Wardwell between the pipes in the second half, the Orange let in only two more goals the rest of the way. It wasn’t quite a wire-to-wire blowout, but the Orange held the Blue Jays at arm’s length throughout the second half.
WHAT IT MEANS: Johns Hopkins shot itself in the foot in the first quarter—all six Blue Jays turnovers were unforced, and its defense looked in complete disarray at times. But the Orange did an excellent job capitalizing on its opportunities, using its speed advantage when it could while also running smart, crisp, patient offense. From beginning to end, the Orange looked like the better, more athletic team.
About the only thing the Orange didn’t do well was take advantage of its extra man opportunities, going 0-4. Hopkins also had a narrow 14-10 edge at the X.
STAR GAZING: It was scoring by committee for the Orange, with 9 different players finding the back of the net. Scott Loy had a hat trick, and Hakeem Lecky and Henry Schoonmaker both scored a pair. Midfielder JoJo Marasco notched 3 assists as well.
But the game ball probably goes to backup goalie Lamolinara, who picked up 5 saves to just 2 goals in his first appearance this season.
WHAT’S NEXT: Syracuse travels to Providence to take on the Friars on Tuesday, March 19, 2013 at 7 p.m.
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 71, Louisiana Tech 69 - December 14, 2014
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 70, Loyola 37 - November 25, 2014
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 6, Louisville 28 - October 3, 2014
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 19, Colgate 6 - May 3, 2014
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 11, North Carolina 10 - April 12, 2014
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 10, Binghamton 8 - April 2, 2014
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 62, Georgia Tech 67 - March 4, 2014
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 59, Boston College 62 (OT) - February 19, 2014
- Enigmatic Syracuse forward Rakeem Christmas showcases offensive improvement - January 20, 2014
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 57, North Carolina 45 - January 11, 2014