NEW YORK — A quick take on Syracuse’s 78-61 loss against Louisville in the Big East Tournament championship game Saturday night at a sold-out Madison Square Garden, SU’s final game in the Big East Conference after 34 memorable years.
WHAT HAPPENED: After an emotional week in which he and the team were asked after each victory about playing for the last time in the Big East, Jim Boeheim watched in frustration in the second half as Louisville’s vaunted press turned a 16-point Orange lead into a five-point deficit over a seven minute stretch (it seemed faster than that), a 44-10 run at one point, to help propel the Cardinals to a second consecutive Big East title, and a likely number-one seed in the NCAA Tournament.
ANALYSIS: ‘Cuse guards Brandon Triche and Michael Carter-Williams knew what was coming as the Cards fell behind by double-digits four minutes into the second half, but it’s another matter to solve the ‘Ville’s vaunted press and double-teams, and it was so effective in disrupting even in-bounds Orange passes after made Louisville baskets to spur the Cards impressive comeback.
HERO: A day after being hounded into shooting woes by Big East player of the year Otto Porter, C.J. Fair found the most of his scoring opportunities on this night finishing with a game-high 21-points and seven rebounds.
ZERO:Syracuse failing to adjust to the Cardinals full court pressure in the second half that completely turned the game around. Sure, it’s easier said than done, but SU really looked flummoxed against the pressure and the offense quickly went out of sync finishing with 18 turnovers.
WHAT’S NEXT: “Selection Sunday” tomorrow, March 17, as the NCAA field is announced with seeds and locales unveiled in the live TV broadcast. The team will gather at the Melo Center to watch the proceedings and learn a first-game opponent and the path necessary to reach the Final Four in Atlanta April 6-8. Time 6:00 ET. TV: CBS.
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 77, Cornell 45 - November 10, 2017
- Orange Watch: Revamped roster for Syracuse basketball will need time to bloom - November 7, 2017
- Orange Watch: Seeking a ‘November to Remember’ for Syracuse Football - October 31, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse picked 10th in the ACC - October 26, 2017
- Orange Watch: Yearning for ACC football division reconfiguration - October 24, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 19, Miami 27 - October 21, 2017
- What Are Syracuse’s Chances Of Making a Bowl Game? - October 18, 2017
- Orange Watch: Syracuse football has chance for encore against Top 10 team - October 17, 2017
- Orange Watch: Beating Clemson would accelerate timetable for rebirth of Syracuse football - October 10, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 27, Pittsburgh 24 - October 7, 2017