NEW YORK — A quick take on Syracuse’s 62-59 Big East Tournament quarterfinals win over Pittsburgh:
WHAT HAPPENED: With SU clinging to a 58-55 lead, Talib Zanna rebounded a missed 3 and hit a layup plus a foul to pull Pitt to within 1. But he missed the free throw and Michael Carter-Williams rebounded and calmly sank a pair of free throws. MCW then picked off an errant James Robinson pass and put the game out of reach with more FTs as SU got revenge for a 65-55 loss to Pitt in February.
ANALYSIS: One day removed from what Jim Boeheim called the team’s one of the team’s best offensive showings this season, the Orange was back at it again. Though SU shot just 37 percent from the field, they also shot 12 for 19 from downtown (though most of that was due to a en fuego James Southerland). SU finished a solid 46 percent from the field as it seems to have rediscovered its offense. The other glaring stat came from the officiating. SU went to the line just 10 times compared to Pitt’s 19.
HERO: Southerland was once against the team’s savior. He was a perfect 6-6 from downtown and finished with 20 points and 6 rebounds. MCW had 11 points and 7 assists and several big free throws in the closing minute.
ZERO: Rakeem Christmas, who had been playing better as of late, played an ineffective game. He went scoreless and had more fouls than blocks (1) and rebounds (1) combined. Pitt may have taken more free throws but was just 11-19 and shot just 37 percent from the field.
WHAT’S NEXT: For the third time this season, the Orange will take on Georgetown. This time, it will be in the semifinal round of the Big East tournament on Friday at 7 p.m., as SU seeks revenge for a humiliating 61-39 loss last week at the Verizon Center. TV: ESPN.
- Recruiting Roundup: Decision day for Hugh Davis, Syracuse re-offers Jo-El Shaw - May 26, 2017
- Recruiting Roundup: 2018 running back Jawhar Jordan commits to Syracuse - May 25, 2017
- Recruiting Roundup: Marek Dolezaj to Syracuse, Meechi Harris narrows list to nine - May 24, 2017
- 2017 NBA Draft Profile: Syracuse forward Tyler Lydon - May 23, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse’s dream season ends with nightmare against Towson - May 22, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse to play Towson with trip to Final Four on the line - May 19, 2017
- Belbey: Boeheim’s Army has meant ‘a lot’ to Syracuse basketball alums - May 17, 2017
- Syracuse lacrosse rides Evan Molloy past Yale and into NCAA quarterfinals - May 15, 2017
- Syracuse basketball recruit Jordan Tucker commits to Duke - May 13, 2017
- McAnaney: Yale a ‘tough draw’ for Syracuse lacrosse as a two-seeed - May 12, 2017