Syracuse will play Seton Hall in the second round of the Big East tournament on Wednesday at 2 p.m. at Madison Square Garden. Here is a quick take on the game:
HOW THE PIRATES ADVANCED: In the ugliest possible way. Seton Hall defeated USF 46-42 in overtime in one of the most underwhelming performances in Big East history. The two teams tied a Big East record for fewest points scored in a tournament game, and there was a question as to whether Seton Hall was even going to break 30 points when they trailed 37-29 with about three minutes left. But the Pirates scored the final eight points of regulation, and took the lead when Aaron Cosby drained a 3 to start overtime. “A win is a win,” Fuquan Edwin said to SNY.tv after the game.
THE LAST TIME THESE TWO TEAMS MET: That was on Feb. 16 with the Orange winning 76-65 at the Prudential Center. It seems like a distant memory, but Brandon Triche poured in a career-high 29 points on 10 of 18 shooting. The Pirates were actually within 53-47 midway through the second half, but Michael Carter-Williams went on a personal 6-0 run and the Orange were never seriously threatened after that. CJ Fair chipped in 19 points and added 11 rebounds in Jim Boeheim’s 911th career win.
SCOUTING THE PIRATES: Eugene Teague battered SU inside for 14 points and 9 rebounds in February. He was featured early on against USF, and finished with 14 points and 10 rebounds. Though he’s only averaging 11.0 points a game, he’s been in double digits four of his last five games. Edwin has led the team in scoring all season with 16.6 ppg and notched 17 points in the first round win.
HISTORICALLY SPEAKING: Syracuse leads the all-time series, 46-16.
GAME INFORMATION: Wednesday, March 13, 2013 at 2 p.m. at Madison Square Garden in New York. TV: ESPN.
- Syracuse 31, Connecticut 24 — What we learned - September 26, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: 2017 defensive end Jonathan Kingsley commits to Syracuse - September 26, 2016
- Connecticut Huskies — 2016 Syracuse football scouting report - September 23, 2016
- Even Syracuse football’s best coaches needed time - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse makes Mohamed Bamba’s final seven - September 22, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse coach Gerry McNamara visits Hamidou Diallo - September 20, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse offers 2018 QB Devin Leary - September 19, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 20, South Florida 45 - September 17, 2016
- Before Syracuse, Babers’ teams at Eastern Illinois, Bowling Green were routed, too - September 16, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse and Kentucky working hardest for Quade Green - September 16, 2016