Syracuse will play Seton Hall in the second round of the Big East tournament on Wednesday at 2 p.m. at Madison Square Garden. Here is a quick take on the game:
HOW THE PIRATES ADVANCED: In the ugliest possible way. Seton Hall defeated USF 46-42 in overtime in one of the most underwhelming performances in Big East history. The two teams tied a Big East record for fewest points scored in a tournament game, and there was a question as to whether Seton Hall was even going to break 30 points when they trailed 37-29 with about three minutes left. But the Pirates scored the final eight points of regulation, and took the lead when Aaron Cosby drained a 3 to start overtime. “A win is a win,” Fuquan Edwin said to SNY.tv after the game.
THE LAST TIME THESE TWO TEAMS MET: That was on Feb. 16 with the Orange winning 76-65 at the Prudential Center. It seems like a distant memory, but Brandon Triche poured in a career-high 29 points on 10 of 18 shooting. The Pirates were actually within 53-47 midway through the second half, but Michael Carter-Williams went on a personal 6-0 run and the Orange were never seriously threatened after that. CJ Fair chipped in 19 points and added 11 rebounds in Jim Boeheim’s 911th career win.
SCOUTING THE PIRATES: Eugene Teague battered SU inside for 14 points and 9 rebounds in February. He was featured early on against USF, and finished with 14 points and 10 rebounds. Though he’s only averaging 11.0 points a game, he’s been in double digits four of his last five games. Edwin has led the team in scoring all season with 16.6 ppg and notched 17 points in the first round win.
HISTORICALLY SPEAKING: Syracuse leads the all-time series, 46-16.
GAME INFORMATION: Wednesday, March 13, 2013 at 2 p.m. at Madison Square Garden in New York. TV: ESPN.
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 27, Clemson 24 - October 13, 2017
- Experience with Syracuse basketball’s zone can be indicator of defensive efficiency - October 11, 2017
- 2017-18 Syracuse basketball: Best and worst case scenarios - October 5, 2017
- Does experience necessarily translate into wins for Syracuse basketball? - October 4, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 25, NC State 33 - September 30, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 26, LSU 35 - September 23, 2017
- Does Syracuse football have a puncher’s chance against LSU? - September 22, 2017
- What will Syracuse basketball’s starting lineup look like in 2017-18? - September 21, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 23, Middle Tennessee 30 - September 9, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 50, Central Connecticut State 7 - September 1, 2017