NEW YORK — A quick take on Syracuse’s Big East Tournament second-round 75-63 victory over Seton Hall Wednesday afternoon at Madison Square Garden, in front of a majority, but rather pedestrian, orange-attired crowd.
WHAT HAPPENED: SU (24-8) moved on to quarterfinals with a hard-fought second-half comeback to beat the pesky Pirates (15-18). Trailing by 10 twice in the first half, SU came back behind James Sutherland’s three-point shooting (17 first half points) to tie the game 34-34 at halftime. The ‘Cuse began pulling away eight minutes into the second-half and led by 11 with 7:30 play on Brandon Triche’s emphatic three-pointer from the top of the key that turned the tide for good. That shot also seemed to get the senior guard in gear, he finished with 17-points on 6-of-9 FG shooting. Michael Carter-Williams dazzled in finding his open teammates, and tied a Big East Tournament record with 14 assists.
ANALYSIS: Jim Boeheim said after the regular season ended that if the shots start falling, his team has a chance to go far in March. SU shot the ball well Wednesday at 56%, overall, 60% from three-point range, and continued to play strong defense, especially in the second-half, to advance.
HERO: Senior sharpshooter James Sutherland makes the Orange that much better when his shot is going down, and he was hitting twine on Wednesday finishing with 20-points on 6-of-9 three-point shooting, and a two-point basket thrown in for good measure.
ZERO: The atmosphere. Maybe too many Orange fans are in a reminiscent mode about this being the last Big East dance, as the crowd was not its usual consistently loud 6th man for “New York’s College Team.” Maybe that changes Thursday afternoon in an underdog role.
WHAT’S NEXT: A date with Pittsburgh in the Big East quarterfinals Thursday. The Panthers, at home on Feb. 2, beat the Orange in the lone regular season meeting 65-55. Approximate time 2:25 EDT. TV: ESPN.
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 31, Connecticut 24 - September 24, 2016
- Orange Watch: Tough to be patient with Syracuse in world of Power Five - September 20, 2016
- Orange Watch: The top quarterbacks to play against Syracuse in Carrier Dome history - September 13, 2016
- Orange Watch: If “Orange is the new fast” for Syracuse football, keep it coming - September 6, 2016
- Orange Watch: Part II, 2016 Syracuse football game-by-game previews and predictions - August 26, 2016
- Orange Watch: Part I, 2016 Syracuse football game-by-game previews and predictions - August 23, 2016
- Orange Watch: Will new Hall of Famer Marvin Harrison return to Syracuse this season? - August 9, 2016
- Orange Watch: NCAA graduate transfer rule could alter 2016-17 Syracuse basketball - July 26, 2016
- Orange Watch: Syracuse football will benefit from new AD, football coach, Carrier Dome - July 12, 2016
- Syracuse names alum John Wildhack as new athletic director - July 6, 2016