WASHINGTON, D.C. — A quick take on Syracuse’s 61-39 embarrassing loss to Georgetown in the Orange’s final Big East regular season game after 34-seasons in the league, before a raucous, record sell-out crowd of 20,972 at the Verizon Center on a lovely, spring-like Saturday afternoon in the nation’s capital.
WHAT HAPPENED: Syracuse (23-8) failed to take any momentum away from Wednesday’s win over DePaul, and instead goes into the post-season having dropped four of its last five regular season games and 5-5 in its last 10 contests, finishing 11-7 and in the middle of the pack of the conference, playing some of its poorest basketball (total game points more like what SU scores in one half, 33-percent shooting, 13 turnovers, and being out-rebounded by nearly double-digits) of the entire season on this day.
ANALYSIS: Down by seven at halftime, and having scored just 18-points due to poor shooting and sloppy play (eight turnovers), SU could not contain the Hoyas (24-5) three-point shooting in the second-half, especially by guards Markel Starks and D’Vauntes Smith-Rivera (combined 34-points), as Georgetown stayed comfortably in front by double-digits throughout the final 20 minutes.
HERO: Stretching the definition here, but perhaps the thousands of orange-clad ‘Cuse fans, many of whom paying big bucks for the privilege to sit in on the final game in this rivalry, had to endure a one-sided affair and a loud celebration of all things Georgetown basketball.
ZERO: A lot to choose from among the orange-clad team members, let’s just say SU fans hope to see a completely reinvigorated squad come next week as “New York’s College Team” plays in the Big Apple.
WHAT’S NEXT: As the 5th seed in its final Big East Tournament at Madison Square Garden in New York, Syracuse opens up play Wed. Mar. 13 against the winner of Tuesday’s #12 Seton Hall/#13 South Florida match-up, in the second game of the Wed. afternoon session of the second-round. The ‘Cuse beat both the Pirates and Bulls by 11-points on the road in the regular season meetings. Approximate Time: 2:30 TV: ESPN
For more Syracuse coverage, Like our Facebook page
- Orange Watch: A pleasure to finally meet Syracuse coach Dino Babers - September 27, 2016
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 31, Connecticut 24 - September 24, 2016
- Orange Watch: Tough to be patient with Syracuse in world of Power Five - September 20, 2016
- Orange Watch: The top quarterbacks to play against Syracuse in Carrier Dome history - September 13, 2016
- Orange Watch: If “Orange is the new fast” for Syracuse football, keep it coming - September 6, 2016
- Orange Watch: Part II, 2016 Syracuse football game-by-game previews and predictions - August 26, 2016
- Orange Watch: Part I, 2016 Syracuse football game-by-game previews and predictions - August 23, 2016
- Orange Watch: Will new Hall of Famer Marvin Harrison return to Syracuse this season? - August 9, 2016
- Orange Watch: NCAA graduate transfer rule could alter 2016-17 Syracuse basketball - July 26, 2016
- Orange Watch: Syracuse football will benefit from new AD, football coach, Carrier Dome - July 12, 2016