Teamwork seems to be the key from Friday night’s overtime thriller against UVA.
It was a back and forth showdown where Syracuse came out on top. This typical Syracuse-UVA battle ended in a 9-8 win for the Orange. Four of the last six games between the two powerhouses were won by one goal, and five have been determined in overtime play.
The Orange players lived up to their hashtag #HHH, or Head, Heart, Hustle and played with enormous vigor but also patience. They’re used to a more fast-paced game Desko explained, “Zones always slow you down, if a team plays a good zone defense you really have to work hard to get quality shots,” their patience together against the UVA zone helped them win. This versatility can only help for the rest of the season.
When asked about his team as a result of the game Desko said, “We grew up a lot today.”
Kevin Rice made the shot heard around the Dome. He was pleased with his game-winning shot saying, “If I had to pick a spot to shoot from it would be right there, that’s my sweet spot.”
It looks like plenty of players found their spots tonight with nine goals coming from eight different players.
Rice valued the teamwork saying, “Everyone fits a different role, we play well with each other, we feed off each other and we are unselfish and it showed tonight.”
JoJo Marasco was the only player with two goals last night but accredited it all to his team, “I’ve learned after my 4 years here to relax and really trust my teammates.” He had no idea that he had scored his 100th goal of the season but in response he said, “It’s more about the team, more about the offense and defense, I’m doing what I can to help out the team.”
Lastly, Wardwell had to be on his toes throughout the game as result of UVA’s 21-5 dominance in face offs. Despite falling behind, Wardwell believed in his team and said in order to bounce back from that “We have to pick each other up that helps us as a team” and they did just that.
Though Syracuse trailed in face offs and lost the most important one in OT, they still managed to save face. They proved their team is still a volatile threat this season.
- Dylan Donahue’s nine points leads Syracuse past Siena - February 13, 2016
- Syracuse coach Mike Hopkins on first career win: It’s never ‘been about me’ - December 10, 2015
- Joseph displays improved outside shot as Syracuse defeats Lehigh - November 16, 2015
- Syracuse displays perimeter attack in tuneup against Le Moyne - November 3, 2015
- Randy Staats is out, but Syracuse lacrosse keeps on winning - March 23, 2015
- Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim calls NCAA sanctions ‘unduly harsh,’ reaffirms retirement timeline - March 19, 2015
- Syracuse lacrosse beats Army with third quarter eruption - February 23, 2015
- Gbinije relishes in moment as Syracuse edges Virginia Tech - February 4, 2015
- Rakeem Christmas’ career-high 35 leads Syracuse past Wake Forest - January 14, 2015
- Syracuse guard Trevor Cooney buries seven 3-pointers in win - January 12, 2015