Confirming a story first reported by The Juice Online on Feb. 11, Syracuse University announced on Tuesday afternoon that they will begin construction on a new $17 million indoor practice facility for the football team.
“This commitment will give our student-athletes a first-rate complex to utilize as we move to the ACC and compete for championships,” said head football coach Scott Shafer in a release. “With our outstanding staff, this building puts us on par or ahead of our competitors in the new league, and will attract and help us develop the kind of outstanding citizens and student-athletes required to win at this level.”
Here’s more from the official release:
Syracuse University will continue designing and begin construction on one of the premiere collegiate athletics indoor practice centers in the nation, Director of Athletics Dr. Daryl Gross announced today. Construction is expected to begin later this year. The state-of-the-art, $17 million planned center will continue to move Syracuse Athletics forward as New York’s College Team, providing essential and transformational amenities needed to compete for championships in the Athletic Coast Conference. The 87,000 square foot building will provide the football program with an innovative and modern practice environment, enhance recruiting efforts, and help develop the best and brightest student-athletes from across the nation.
While the specific details weren’t outlined, sources have told The Juice Online that besides a full 120-yard field with a small area for spectators, video camera crews, and minimal office space, it is also expected to have some sort of connectivity to the existing Iocolano-Petty football wing near the original Coyne Field.
- Kentucky, Oregon working hardest on Jamal Murray — Cuse Clicks - May 20, 2015
- Kurt Gavin plans to visit Syracuse after receiving offer — Cuse Clicks - May 18, 2015
- Syracuse lacrosse season ends against Johns Hopkins - May 18, 2015
- Syracuse lacrosse meets familiar foe Johns Hopkins in NCAA Tournament - May 15, 2015
- Dwayne Haskins, Jr. will announce college decision Friday — Cuse Clicks - May 14, 2015
- 2016 5-star guard Tyus Battle spurns Syracuse, selects Michigan — Cuse Clicks - May 12, 2015
- Syracuse lacrosse dominates in NCAA Tournament win over Marist - May 11, 2015
- Syracuse lacrosse opens 2015 NCAA Tournament against Marist - May 8, 2015
- Syracuse among top five for 2016 guard Alterique Gilbert — Cuse Clicks - May 7, 2015
- Tyus Battle schedules official visit to Syracuse — Cuse Clicks - May 6, 2015