Confirming a story first reported by The Juice Online on Feb. 11, Syracuse University announced on Tuesday afternoon that they will begin construction on a new $17 million indoor practice facility for the football team.
“This commitment will give our student-athletes a first-rate complex to utilize as we move to the ACC and compete for championships,” said head football coach Scott Shafer in a release. “With our outstanding staff, this building puts us on par or ahead of our competitors in the new league, and will attract and help us develop the kind of outstanding citizens and student-athletes required to win at this level.”
Here’s more from the official release:
Syracuse University will continue designing and begin construction on one of the premiere collegiate athletics indoor practice centers in the nation, Director of Athletics Dr. Daryl Gross announced today. Construction is expected to begin later this year. The state-of-the-art, $17 million planned center will continue to move Syracuse Athletics forward as New York’s College Team, providing essential and transformational amenities needed to compete for championships in the Athletic Coast Conference. The 87,000 square foot building will provide the football program with an innovative and modern practice environment, enhance recruiting efforts, and help develop the best and brightest student-athletes from across the nation.
While the specific details weren’t outlined, sources have told The Juice Online that besides a full 120-yard field with a small area for spectators, video camera crews, and minimal office space, it is also expected to have some sort of connectivity to the existing Iocolano-Petty football wing near the original Coyne Field.
- McAnaney: Days of Syracuse lacrosse as lock for Final Four are over - May 26, 2016
- 2016 NBA Draft Profile: Syracuse G Malachi Richardson - May 25, 2016
- Former punter Brendan Carney talks Syracuse football, Riley Dixon, marathoning - May 18, 2016
- Second half rally by Syracuse lacrosse enough to silence Albany - May 16, 2016
- Syracuse lacrosse, seeded No. 8 in the NCAA Tournament, will host Albany - May 9, 2016
- Colgate Raiders — 2016 Syracuse lacrosse scouting report - May 5, 2016
- What will Syracuse’s starting lineup look like in the 2016-17 season? - May 5, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: Syracuse in final three for Taurean Thompson - May 5, 2016
- Belbey looking to add one more player to Syracuse alumni team ‘Boeheim’s Army’ - May 4, 2016
- Recruiting Roundup: 2017 wing Jordan Tucker calls visit to Syracuse ‘great’ - May 4, 2016