Confirming a story first reported by The Juice Online on Feb. 11, Syracuse University announced on Tuesday afternoon that they will begin construction on a new $17 million indoor practice facility for the football team.
“This commitment will give our student-athletes a first-rate complex to utilize as we move to the ACC and compete for championships,” said head football coach Scott Shafer in a release. “With our outstanding staff, this building puts us on par or ahead of our competitors in the new league, and will attract and help us develop the kind of outstanding citizens and student-athletes required to win at this level.”
Here’s more from the official release:
Syracuse University will continue designing and begin construction on one of the premiere collegiate athletics indoor practice centers in the nation, Director of Athletics Dr. Daryl Gross announced today. Construction is expected to begin later this year. The state-of-the-art, $17 million planned center will continue to move Syracuse Athletics forward as New York’s College Team, providing essential and transformational amenities needed to compete for championships in the Athletic Coast Conference. The 87,000 square foot building will provide the football program with an innovative and modern practice environment, enhance recruiting efforts, and help develop the best and brightest student-athletes from across the nation.
While the specific details weren’t outlined, sources have told The Juice Online that besides a full 120-yard field with a small area for spectators, video camera crews, and minimal office space, it is also expected to have some sort of connectivity to the existing Iocolano-Petty football wing near the original Coyne Field.
- If Syracuse basketball was eligible, it would be squarely on the bubble - February 27, 2015
- Tyus Battle injures foot with Michigan, Notre Dame watching — Cuse Clicks - February 26, 2015
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 65, Notre Dame 60 - February 24, 2015
- 2016 forward Kassoum Yakwe to visit Iowa State — Cuse Clicks - February 24, 2015
- Combo guard Kobi Simmons has racked up 39 offers — Cuse Clicks - February 23, 2015
- Former Syracuse star CJ Fair to Orange fans: ‘Keep hope alive’ - February 23, 2015
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 61, Pittsburgh 65 - February 21, 2015
- Louisville, Florida and Ohio State to watch 5-star Tyus Battle — Cuse Clicks - February 20, 2015
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 69, Louisville 59 - February 18, 2015
- Louisville guard Chris Jones will not play against Syracuse - February 17, 2015