Syracuse and Georgetown will renew their heated rivalry when the Hoyas travel to Central New York for what will be a new on-campus NCAA attendance record. Here is a scouting report for the game:
CONTINUED RIVALRY?: A record 35,012 will be on hand to watch Syracuse play Georgetown for the final time as conference foes. Syracuse is heading to the ACC beginning in July of this year, while Georgetown and the “Catholic 7” will strike it out on their own after that. But Georgetown coach John Thompson III hopes that the rivalry will continue beyond the 2013 season. “I still anticipate us playing although it hasn’t been hammered out for next year or for the immediate (future),” Thompson said during last Thursday’s Big East Coach’s Conference call. “But I don’t think that it’s something that’s going to necessarily go away.” The Orange have already agreed to a home-and-home with St. John’s for non-conference games in the next two seasons. Perhaps the Orange and Hoyas can do the same.
SCOUTING THE HOYAS: Otto Porter leads Georgetown in points (15.1) and rebounding (7.7) and is reigning Big East player of the week after he averaged 18.5 points and 7.0 rebounds. He’s come into the discussion as a Wooden Award candidate given how he’s essentially carried the team since the Hoyas suspended Greg Whittington because of an academic issue. At the time, Georgetown had lost two games to Marquette and Pitt while scoring 48 and 45 points, respectively. Since then, the Hoyas are 10-1, led by their do-it-all forward. Guard Markel Starks has seen a dramatic improvement in his junior year for Georgetown, and is the only other player averaging double-digit points (12.4 ppg).
HISTORICALLY SPEAKING: Syracuse leads the all-time series between the schools 48-39, and has won the last two matchups. The last time the two teams met, the Orange came away with a 64-61 overtime win on February 8, 2012. The win moved Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim ahead of Dean Smith for third all time on the Division I wins list. Kris Joseph’s 29 points led SU.
GAME INFORMATION: Saturday, February 23rd, 2013 at 4 p.m. in the Carrier Dome in Syracuse, NY. TV: CBS.
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 72, Toledo 64 - November 22, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 74, Oakland 50 - November 20, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 80, Texas Southern 67 - November 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 10, Louisville 56 - November 18, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 71, Iona 62 - November 14, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 43, Wake Forest 64 - November 11, 2017
- Cornell Big Red — 2017-18 Syracuse scouting report with Ivy Hoops Online - November 10, 2017
- Syracuse basketball: Three things to look for against Southern Connecticut State - November 6, 2017
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 24, Florida State 27 - November 4, 2017
- Syracuse basketball: Three things to look for against Southern New Hampshire - October 30, 2017