Syracuse and Georgetown will renew their heated rivalry when the Hoyas travel to Central New York for what will be a new on-campus NCAA attendance record. Here is a scouting report for the game:
CONTINUED RIVALRY?: A record 35,012 will be on hand to watch Syracuse play Georgetown for the final time as conference foes. Syracuse is heading to the ACC beginning in July of this year, while Georgetown and the “Catholic 7″ will strike it out on their own after that. But Georgetown coach John Thompson III hopes that the rivalry will continue beyond the 2013 season. “I still anticipate us playing although it hasn’t been hammered out for next year or for the immediate (future),” Thompson said during last Thursday’s Big East Coach’s Conference call. “But I don’t think that it’s something that’s going to necessarily go away.” The Orange have already agreed to a home-and-home with St. John’s for non-conference games in the next two seasons. Perhaps the Orange and Hoyas can do the same.
SCOUTING THE HOYAS: Otto Porter leads Georgetown in points (15.1) and rebounding (7.7) and is reigning Big East player of the week after he averaged 18.5 points and 7.0 rebounds. He’s come into the discussion as a Wooden Award candidate given how he’s essentially carried the team since the Hoyas suspended Greg Whittington because of an academic issue. At the time, Georgetown had lost two games to Marquette and Pitt while scoring 48 and 45 points, respectively. Since then, the Hoyas are 10-1, led by their do-it-all forward. Guard Markel Starks has seen a dramatic improvement in his junior year for Georgetown, and is the only other player averaging double-digit points (12.4 ppg).
HISTORICALLY SPEAKING: Syracuse leads the all-time series between the schools 48-39, and has won the last two matchups. The last time the two teams met, the Orange came away with a 64-61 overtime win on February 8, 2012. The win moved Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim ahead of Dean Smith for third all time on the Division I wins list. Kris Joseph’s 29 points led SU.
GAME INFORMATION: Saturday, February 23rd, 2013 at 4 p.m. in the Carrier Dome in Syracuse, NY. TV: CBS.
- Maryland jumps in Jordan Tucker sweepstakes — Cuse Clicks - January 28, 2015
- Kassoum Yakwe takes in St. John’s game at Madison Square Garden — Cuse Clicks - January 27, 2015
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 83, North Carolina 93 - January 26, 2015
- Syracuse recruit Thomas Bryant has not set any visits yet — Cuse Clicks - January 26, 2015
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 62, Miami 66 - January 24, 2015
- What effect will NCAA investigation have on Syracuse’s recruitment of Thomas Bryant? - January 23, 2015
- Syracuse commit Malachi Richardson pours in 34 for Iron Mikes — Cuse Clicks - January 23, 2015
- Moustapha Diagne notches 16 points, rebounds as Pope John avoids upset — Cuse Clicks - January 22, 2015
- VJ King planning visits to Kentucky, Louisville — Cuse Clicks - January 21, 2015
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 69, Boston College 61 - January 20, 2015