Syracuse and Georgetown will renew their heated rivalry when the Hoyas travel to Central New York for what will be a new on-campus NCAA attendance record. Here is a scouting report for the game:
CONTINUED RIVALRY?: A record 35,012 will be on hand to watch Syracuse play Georgetown for the final time as conference foes. Syracuse is heading to the ACC beginning in July of this year, while Georgetown and the “Catholic 7″ will strike it out on their own after that. But Georgetown coach John Thompson III hopes that the rivalry will continue beyond the 2013 season. “I still anticipate us playing although it hasn’t been hammered out for next year or for the immediate (future),” Thompson said during last Thursday’s Big East Coach’s Conference call. “But I don’t think that it’s something that’s going to necessarily go away.” The Orange have already agreed to a home-and-home with St. John’s for non-conference games in the next two seasons. Perhaps the Orange and Hoyas can do the same.
SCOUTING THE HOYAS: Otto Porter leads Georgetown in points (15.1) and rebounding (7.7) and is reigning Big East player of the week after he averaged 18.5 points and 7.0 rebounds. He’s come into the discussion as a Wooden Award candidate given how he’s essentially carried the team since the Hoyas suspended Greg Whittington because of an academic issue. At the time, Georgetown had lost two games to Marquette and Pitt while scoring 48 and 45 points, respectively. Since then, the Hoyas are 10-1, led by their do-it-all forward. Guard Markel Starks has seen a dramatic improvement in his junior year for Georgetown, and is the only other player averaging double-digit points (12.4 ppg).
HISTORICALLY SPEAKING: Syracuse leads the all-time series between the schools 48-39, and has won the last two matchups. The last time the two teams met, the Orange came away with a 64-61 overtime win on February 8, 2012. The win moved Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim ahead of Dean Smith for third all time on the Division I wins list. Kris Joseph’s 29 points led SU.
GAME INFORMATION: Saturday, February 23rd, 2013 at 4 p.m. in the Carrier Dome in Syracuse, NY. TV: CBS.
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 7, Pitt 30 - November 22, 2014
- Kaleb Joseph shows growth as Syracuse edges Iowa - November 22, 2014
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 66, Iowa 63 - November 21, 2014
- Star 2015 forward Thomas Bryant to visit Kentucky — Cuse Clicks - November 21, 2014
- In loss to Cal, Syracuse basketball’s inexperience shows - November 21, 2014
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 59, California 73 - November 20, 2014
- Thomas Bryant considering Syracuse, Indiana and Missouri — Cuse Clicks - November 20, 2014
- Lake Forest Academy DL Wesley Annan commits to Stanford — Cuse Clicks - November 19, 2014
- Syracuse commit Moustapha Diagne among elite recruits at Burger King Classic — Cuse Clicks - November 17, 2014
- Instant Juice: Syracuse 89, Kennesaw State 42 - November 14, 2014